Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

On the tipsandtricks.com WEB site there is an article entitled:

AC Waveforms and Advanced AC Tig at https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ac ... pulse.html
advanced-pulse.jpg
advanced-pulse.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 798 times
In that is a diagram representing Advanced Pulse that is not clear on where the AC waveform is with respect to zero volts. I have edited that diagram - is it correct?
advanced-pulse (annotated).jpg
advanced-pulse (annotated).jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 798 times
This shows a DCEN base voltage that is periodically interrupted with an AC voltage with 50% balance. The 50% is probably unrealistic but easier to draw with paint.

I realise that I don't need to know these details to weld but I am curious.

Thanks
Jack
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Your question is about volts but your diagram is showing amps.
Jack Ryan

BugHunter wrote:Your question is about volts but your diagram is showing amps.
There might be a slight phase difference because of the reactance of the arc but the waveforms will be the same shape.

I am asking if the low current DCEN section is simply interrupted by a periodic but otherwise typical AC TIG current. Is the average AC current during the AC section zero (as in my drawing) or equal to the DCEN current?

Alternatively, substitute current for voltage in the original question.

Jack
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Jack Ryan wrote:
BugHunter wrote:Your question is about volts but your diagram is showing amps.
There might be a slight phase difference because of the reactance of the arc but the waveforms will be the same shape.

I am asking if the low current DCEN section is simply interrupted by a periodic but otherwise typical AC TIG current. Is the average AC current during the AC section zero (as in my drawing) or equal to the DCEN current?

Alternatively, substitute current for voltage in the original question.

Jack
Yes you have that correct, that is the basic premise for that kind of operation. The initial diagram can be thought of as a simplistic depiction of what happens, which is as you have mentioned: there is a typical AC TIG operation and the machine sneaks in a DCEN output periodically. It doesn't have to be lower in absolute magnitude compared to the AC waveform as the picture suggests, but it can be. It could very well be the same magnitude. The advantage being that once the AC waveform cleans/etches the aluminum, the DC component will have no trouble creating excellent penetration because the otherwise problematic oxide layer is no longer present.
Jack Ryan

Oscar wrote: Yes you have that correct, that is the basic premise for that kind of operation. The initial diagram can be thought of as a simplistic depiction of what happens, which is as you have mentioned: there is a typical AC TIG operation and the machine sneaks in a DCEN output periodically. It doesn't have to be lower in absolute magnitude compared to the AC waveform as the picture suggests, but it can be. It could very well be the same magnitude. The advantage being that once the AC waveform cleans/etches the aluminum, the DC component will have no trouble creating excellent penetration because the otherwise problematic oxide layer is no longer present.
Thanks Oscar. I didn't want to end up like the cat (the one curiosity killed) but the manufacturers and the Internet generally tends to gloss over such details.

Regards
Jack