Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
emlclcy
    Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 pm

i have 300 of these to make.
2 1/4" 10swg wall 6082T6 aluminium tube 6" long TIG welded to a 2 1/4" length of 2" ali angle. sort of like a giant crimp tag.
will be used to link poles together on a large geo-dome project.

i worried that the strength of the angle will be lost with all the heat input.

any tip on this? can it be heat treated afterwards?
thanks
carl
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Emlcicy.

Your welding will result in reduced strength next to your welds.

If the drawing required -T6, then there may of been a reason for that requirement.
Before post welding heat treating the components, you may want to check with engineering if that those reduced characteristics are still within the acceptability range for the end-use. If they are not, then to understand what would be the minimal level, in order to plan your heat treatment.

If you do decide to heat treat the components, you are lucky in that they seem to be relatively small in size.

Find the manufacturer of the 6082-T6 and search online for the data sheet of that material.
You will probably find the post weld heat treating recommendations.

Alexa
Last edited by Alexa on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I agree with Alexa, here,

A project of this size, being properly engineered, should have specified the material with the end result in mind, i.e. the post-weld properties will be adequate.

I also agree with Alexa that this is not guaranteed, and is worth following up on. Have they given you a WPS for the welds yet? Study it closely, as PWHT should be specified, if required. If they've not given you a WPS, you should request one, and keep insisting until you get one.

You're right to be concerned; The welder is usually the one held accountable for failure, even if engineering failed to give enough information.

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Emlclcy.

Will you be using 4043 to weld the components?
Do you have the brand and manufacturer of the 6082-T6?

Tanks.
Alexa