Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

I was using my machine, Kemppi 2300 Mastertig this morning in the workshop and everything was working perfectly, but I needed to move it all to another location for a different job. The workshop cylinder is large so I rented a smaller one. Once moved, everything is set to go with cylinder connected, so start up but arc is acting very weird almost as if on AC. At first I thought I had put in the wrong electrode type, so swapped out, but no change, checked gas connections for leaks and all good.
I'm doing 1.6mm walled pre-gal with all the galvanising cleaned off. Return lead is not set close as I don't have a magnetic clamp for that. Behaviour is like a gas problem but the connections have all been checked ok. Is this a suddenly developed hose fault? Air getting in somewhere? Machine and original torch hose are now 14 years old without a fault, so maybe overdue.
Odd that it was all working perfectly until I moved it. If anyone can help, thanks.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

try the gas cylinder on another machine. could simply be bad cyl of gas.
tweak it until it breaks
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

tweake wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:42 am try the gas cylinder on another machine. could simply be bad cyl of gas.
That was my first thought seeing it was the only change.