Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm welding 3/8" SS tubing, 0.035" wall with a stubby gas lens set up, #8 Furick glass cup, 18CFH AR. I'm wondering if I should be using a bigger cup but am concerned it would just get in the way in these tight, tight corners. I think I'd need to much stick-out. But I'm finding that the more argon the better and I'm trying to get my basics set so I can improve my product.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jon
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

my current go to is the furick jazzy10. that gives me a good long stick out for getting into tight spaces. i like it as it uses about the same gas flow as a #8 cup gas lens (gas is expensive here)
however with smaller pieces you can get away with a smaller cup.
stainless loves gas, but keep in mind it can also cool the part.

another tip if you really want to go the best you can is to purge it, not just inside a tube but externally. set up a purge line with a spare torch with a big cup on it and put that on the other side of the joint. rush kane has a video on it i think.
tweak it until it breaks
ekbmuts

I'm going to try the Jazzy 10 (just ordered one).

Can you take a look at these pix and give me some pointers? The middle one is rod to rod. The others are rod to tubing. I don't think I'm doing awfully and the welds are holding but man, this takes too long!

THKS!

Jon

[attachment=0]DSC00010.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]DSC00009.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]DSC00008.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (145.81 KiB) Viewed 259 times
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00009.JPG (153.53 KiB) Viewed 259 times
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00008.JPG (141.3 KiB) Viewed 259 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

From those pics, you're doing fine. Yes, welding round tube takes a ton of time especially when the diameter is small because you can only weld a dab or 3 then you have to re-position. Real production pros chase around the circumference or use a positioner to roll the material while they hold still (works great, its a production cheat for optimal time and results).

I'd say if anything your filler add looks a bit heavy. Stuff less. Stainless beads tend to be "flatter" or more "shallow". Stainless welds are wicked strong even without filler, so the filler you do add can be reduced from an aluminum style profile.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i'm sure others will give better advice than me.
but first thing is it pays to put something in the pic to give scale, like a tig torch, glove, fingers etc. otherwise what looks really bad in the pic is actually nothing in real life. you can get to fussy on it. hard part is working out what is good enough.
one thing i would do is less step between dabs. i could say smaller beads, maybe closer arc, but i can't tell due to scale.
it all depends on if they need to be pretty or not.
thin material is very difficult and thats always slow.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Tweake those rods are 10mm diameter for scale.
ekbmuts

Thanks VERY much for the feedback. Yes - one of my pet peeves is that I can't just weld. It's two or three dabs and then reposition. Couple that with my inherent lack of patience and it's quite trying. It would be terrific if I had the equipment to fit these things up and reposition them perfectly but I don't. So we cope and do our best.

On the rods, right - everything you see is 3/8" OD. Some of it (the "handle") is rod so it's solid and easy to weld. Most of it is 0.035" wall tubing. Welding rod to rod is easiest. Rod to tubing is more challenging but the real work comes when it's tubing to tubing.

I've got a decent bandsaw (Carolina Equipment HV-12) which I use in the vertical position to "notch" my pieces. Using the tungsten carbide burr rig that I made worked but it was too laborious and quite messy with stainless dust flying all over the place. So I just notch on the bandsaw.

But okay - I'll work on less filler. I tend toward a 0.035" rod but sometimes go to 1/16" on the rod-to-rod welds. If nothing else, this is all good experience.

I'm going to post some pictures of the welds once they've cooled so that you can see the heat signature as well as the overall look of the weld before I wire brush it. Wire brushing makes a hell of a difference in appearance so a pic of the welds before I brush it might give you some insight as to argon flow, etc. And I'll include something as a size reference so that you can tell what you're looking at and so that people who may look at this post in the future can tell.

I'll post in a separate thread but I'm going to ask for some advice on straightening the final frames. Being so small and undergoing such dramatic heat input, they tend to warp and while I've tried my hand at heat/flame straightening (with some success I might add), there is definitely more to know. So look out for that.

Thanks again cj737 and tweake. If it weren't for this forum and your patient contribution I'd still be in the dark!

Jon