Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
desmo
    Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:54 am

I ended up buying a Dynasty 200DX and been playing around with all the buttons and what not. I realized that I've been pulsing (1pps, 60%on 40%background @120A for .120' wall DOM tube) for the past 2 days on all the steel I've welded. I am curious if I am making this a bad habit? I know pulsing can be very useful but are there times where I should avoid it? For example, structural?

Thanks
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

desmo wrote:I ended up buying a Dynasty 200DX and been playing around with all the buttons and what not. I realized that I've been pulsing (1pps, 60%on 40%background @120A for .120' wall DOM tube) for the past 2 days on all the steel I've welded. I am curious if I am making this a bad habit? I know pulsing can be very useful but are there times where I should avoid it? For example, structural?

Thanks
=====

Desmo.

The following link gives a short and clear description of GMAW-P welding.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/e ... /NX270.pdf

Page 7 of Spray Arc Welding:
http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/MIG_handbook/592mig1_1.htm

Page 10 of link gives pros and cons of the process: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... /c4200.pdf

This might all be old info for ya, but it seemed worth it to pass it on.

Alexa
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I think to pulse or not is largely personal preference unless there is a weld procedure for the job your doing - if so stick to what it says - if not the pros are it can help control heat input & avoid or reduce distortion - especially on stainless - at low pps it helps maintain steady filler rod application & appearance - at higher pps it helps focus the arc according to Jody ( my set only goes to a very annoying 5pps so I can't comment either way ) - I think if your set has the feature it's fine to use it unless there are fixed parameters in a WPS for a given job - some people like the feature - some prefer to control evrything manually with the pedal - I've used a couple of sets in the past of which one had it one did'nt - I did'nt find it made a vast difference on the jobs I was doing though I did find it helped with thinner aluminum heat build up - only downside as I see it is be aware your putting in far less heat than you first think when looking at the peak amps - mostly when Jody does it in the videos he seems to be using lower background % and duration but considerably higher peak amps to compensate - if the weld looks to have good fusion then the chances are it's OK - if the job is repetitive or critical in application then maybe think about having a sample tested.
Good luck with the " new toy " wish I could have afforded one.
desmo
    Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:54 am

noddybrian wrote:Hi - I think to pulse or not is largely personal preference unless there is a weld procedure for the job your doing - if so stick to what it says - if not the pros are it can help control heat input & avoid or reduce distortion - especially on stainless - at low pps it helps maintain steady filler rod application & appearance - at higher pps it helps focus the arc according to Jody ( my set only goes to a very annoying 5pps so I can't comment either way ) - I think if your set has the feature it's fine to use it unless there are fixed parameters in a WPS for a given job - some people like the feature - some prefer to control evrything manually with the pedal - I've used a couple of sets in the past of which one had it one did'nt - I did'nt find it made a vast difference on the jobs I was doing though I did find it helped with thinner aluminum heat build up - only downside as I see it is be aware your putting in far less heat than you first think when looking at the peak amps - mostly when Jody does it in the videos he seems to be using lower background % and duration but considerably higher peak amps to compensate - if the weld looks to have good fusion then the chances are it's OK - if the job is repetitive or critical in application then maybe think about having a sample tested.
Good luck with the " new toy " wish I could have afforded one.
@ Alexa, Thanks for the links. Good info.

@ Brian, Thanks for the advice. BTW, the only reason I bought one was because I lucked out, got a huge student discount and it was a floor model that was used for 5min demo. It came with the wireless pedal and 20torch and cooler. I love the machine.