Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Hi mates;

i'm in welding school right now. it's my day 5 on the training program.

need tips and tricks on adding filler metal continuously for a better weld beads.

any video links and advice from you guys will be highly appreciated :)
Eager to learn welding pipe (6G), in Stick, Mig and Tig :)
JKR
  • JKR
    Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Take a piece of filler rod home and practice the first way he shows you (or some variation of it) and STOP listening. The rest of his input is bad. There's alot of self taught welders out there. Most of them have gotten along just fine because they'll never do work that needs to meet a code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSopEgTh0A

Also, at the back end of the filler rod make a 90 degree bend (1-2 inches). It will keep the rod from bounce around alot.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

There are some nice shots of Rick working the filler in this video.
http://youtu.be/DVZAEdJ89ug
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JKR wrote:...Also, at the back end of the filler rod make a 90 degree bend (1-2 inches). It will keep the rod from bounce around alot.

This also makes the rod much easier to retrieve from a table or floor with your gloves on! ;)

Steve S
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I typically get my most consistent beads using the "lay-wire" technique. The trick is choosing the wire diameter that will deposit just the amount of metal you want. I've done a cap with two 3/32" rods together, just to get the finished height I wanted. (Doesn't work well with aluminum, though, at least for me.)

There's a topic here with a pic of that. I'll see if I can find it.

Actually, I'll just repost it. This pic is all free-hand work, but works just as well for walk-the-cup.
GEDC0797.JPG
GEDC0797.JPG (197.21 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I typically get my most consistent beads using the "lay-wire" technique. The trick is choosing the wire diameter that will deposit just the amount of metal you want. I've done a cap with two 3/32" rods together, just to get the finished height I wanted. (Doesn't work well with aluminum, though, at least for me.)

There's a topic here with a pic of that. I'll see if I can find it.

Actually, I'll just repost it. This pic is all free-hand work, but works just as well for walk-the-cup.
GEDC0797.JPG
Steve S
i'll take your advice :)

try to watch Jody's video on lay-wire technique, too.

JKR wrote:Take a piece of filler rod home and practice the first way he shows you (or some variation of it) and STOP listening. The rest of his input is bad. There's alot of self taught welders out there. Most of them have gotten along just fine because they'll never do work that needs to meet a code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSopEgTh0A

Also, at the back end of the filler rod make a 90 degree bend (1-2 inches). It will keep the rod from bounce around alot.
@red:

thanks mate. :)