Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Would someone either send me a link, or help me learn about torch and supply choices, and when to use what. I'm comfortable in filler choices, and I am OK with when to choose throriated/pure tungsten. What I am not comfortable with is when to use the different cones, or different thickness' of Tungsten, or even when to look at different size torches.

I can say I am pretty sure a water cooled torch is in my near future, with just the little work I have done so far I can definitely see the need for it.

Here is what I have so far:
80cf Argon Tank (after today I will have 2 tanks so I have a spare to use until I can get an exchange done.

The regulator that come with my setup was a 2 guage setup, one was tank pressure, and the other was flow rate, but it looked more like a line pressure guage for Oxy, so I replaced it with a flow regulator with a floating ball, (I never even tried to use that regulator). I actually have 2 of these new regulators so I am going to put them together so I have 2 flow regulators one for purging/back gassing. (don't ask how I ended up with 2, but needless to say I probably should keep track of what I order online and compare that to my local purchases)

My setup come with a size 17 torch (rigid not flexible), cones 4,5,6,7 and one collet and one Thoriated Red Tungsten. I ordered both thoriated and pure tungsten in 1.6, 2.4 and 3.0mm. I am getting collets later today.

So far I have worked with the tungsten that my torch come with, and a #5 cone. It's down to about 1.5" or so. My Argon is also down to about 500psi too, so I am going to the welding supply place today to buy a second tank and collets and if they have them in stock I am going to try to get a glass code/diffuser too.

Also, is there a torch setup that is smaller than the 17 that I have? My next project will be working with round tube steel welded into various truss joints, and what I have feels like it's too large to get accurate placement of the arc into some of the joints I'm going to need.
--------------------
So now after that book above, it would be nice if someone would help me learn what supplies I really need, and when to use them. I'm working 20ga Stainless, Angle Steel to 1/8", 1/8" steel plate, and Aluminum angle to 1/8" thick on my current project.

Next project is 4130 .035 Chrome Molly tubing. THIS is the project that my welds need to be as good as possible, and it is THE reason I am using Tig even where Mig would work better. This is a Home Built Airplane. My practice with 4130 will be to make tube framed doors for my Jeep First. The doors will allow me to work at bending, notching and welding the 4130. If I am not satisfied with my work by the end of the doors, then I will start working scraps until I am satisfied.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This online TIG torch selector might help you out.
http://www.weldcraft.com/help-me-choose/#

This video has several good pointers for chrome-moly tubing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLsrcscoOA
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - You have an inverter set so you will never need pure tungsten - thoriated is fine - some say they use it on AC & it's OK - partly it's personal choice - if you want to simplify it get 2% lanthanated - this works on everything - but do not be tempted by the easy to find & cheaper 1 or 1.5% - I've not had much joy with it - size wise you only have 200amps so you'll never need bigger than 2.4mm - for you stainless job 1.6mm is OK if well sharpened - 1or 1.2mm maybe better if you do alot of very thin sheet work - but I would advise to keep cost down initially till you get some experience just get 1.6mm & 2.4mm in Lanthanated will do anything your set is capable of.
Torch size if not using much amps then a WP 9 size torch is great - if using all / most of your available amps on ally then to keep the small size it would need to be a WP20 series water cooled - BUT this set up & a cooler will run you far in excess of the cost of that welder - nice but can you justify it ? - if space is a concern then go to a shorter back cap & stubby kit - hopefully available where you live - if not don't hate on me for this but "the other Tig guy" sells them from his site ( hint to Jody - you mention them from time to time - but I can't buy them in the UK from anywhere I tried - not even on Ebay )
The Miller site has a good weld chart - just enter the material & process - it gives pretty good base line figures on everything you need to know.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ca ... ulator.php