Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
amazinblazin
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

I have a welding assessment on Tuesday for a company that builds heat ex changers here in Florida. I do not have much aluminum welding experience but I am a strong carbon welder. The test is 3G with TIG, t-joint with MIG, and possibly a aluminum pipe test. I have done all these with carbon and I am assuming that the MIG will be with a spool gun. My question is really all about settings. I'm not sure about material thickness or what type of machine it will be on. I will be taking it at Manatee Technical Institute if anyone is familiar with what they have there. I would appreciate some feedback from you that know. Thanks guys!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Do you have any real aluminum TIG experience at all?

It's a very different animal. Welding carbon steel does not draw any real comparisons.

The MIG will feel familiar, spool-gun or no... Just make a point of wire-brushing everything in front of the proctor.

Do you have any experience TIGing aluminum?

Steve S
amazinblazin

nothing on the level of saying yeah. I've messed around with it stacking dimes and sorts but never welded anything at work or any job site. I have a pretty good idea of the process and how to do it just don't have much time under the hood doing it. The odd thing is with this company is they send you to a three week course for aluminum and stainless. This is just an assessment I guess. I'm hoping I can go in there and throw down something half way decent because I know if I go to this course I'll pick it up pretty easy with some practice. Just for clarification I made it a point to tell them I don't really have aluminum experience but I have plenty of TIG experience so I guess that's enough to get my foot in the door. I'm not the type to show up and look like an ass saying I'm some big bad ass aluminum welder and blow the test. That way I hope they see that I get the concept and see potential and give me a shot. I really want to get into alloy welding I think I would really enjoy this job

If this is to get you in to a program, any experience you have will be good.

If you can show you can make and move an aluminum puddle, you should be good.

May I ask what company is doing this?

Fluor (later, Fluor-Daniels) used to do this regularly, to get hands who could do it the way they wanted it done, particularly for nuclear work.

Steve S.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
amazinblazin

that was a good video I've watched tons of his videos. I've jotted down a couple different settings and hope to get a couple practice runs before I take the test. Hope it all works out!
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Maybe Manatee will let you rent a booth on Monday/night? Just a shot in the dark and would not hurt to ask.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
amazinblazin

That is a good idea that I didn't consider. I will defiantly look into that!

I'll let you in on a little secret...

The first time I EVER TIGged aluminum?

X-ray test.

6061 T6 pipe, 3" sch. 10 with a backing ring, root & cap with 5386.

I passed. Largely due to what I learned here.

If you've absorbed everything Jody has to offer, and the advice you've seen here, you can do this.

Steve S
amazinblazin

I love Jody's videos and I watch them all the time. You hit the nail on the head... all I have been doing is watching his videos and taking notes. I'm not sweating it to much seems like it shouldn't be super hard plus from what the lady told me its just an assessment so I think from what I've watched and what I know about welding in general I should be alright.
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

You got your TIG finger, right? Just show up with that and they'll pass you on the spot.
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
amazinblazin

man i wish all my shit is back home in el paso.... I was scrambling this morning getting a hood, boots, shirt, ect ect... like I said I came down here to visit my folks and put a couple applications in just for shits and giggles hoping one day I could move back and BAM they called me the next day setting up an interview and welding assessment. Just don't feel right not having any of my stuff but gotta make due and blaze that test!
amazinblazin

I would like to thank all of you that gave input for my question. Welding assessment went pretty damn good for never doing aluminum. Ended up being 1/2 inch open root 3G with backing strap with stringers all the way out. Could have looked better but got it done. Jody's videos really helped and this site is amazing.