Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

semi-recently, I upgraded to a CK Worldwide 130 series flex-loc torch and LOVE IT! It was much easier on my hands for welding thin walled tubing for car projects (SS and AL).

Although this torch + Weldcraft #12 cup w/ large diameter lens is better than the huge wp25? Everlast torch I had before, the #12 cup (1 & 7/8" length ?) is still too tall (long) for this ck 135 series torch. It forces me to tilt the torch away from the material at an awkward angle just to fit the cup an appropriate distance from the metal.. So, that hand position of angling the torch away from the metal makes it challenging to hold steady. With smaller cups, this problem is gone, but I don't get the good gas flow of the #12.

If I had a shorter #12 cup length, the torch would be more parallel to the tubing, thus easier to keep my hand steady, thus better looking welds .

So, do you guys know of any GOOD new stubby #12 welding cups that work with large diameter gas lens and still provide good gas flow? I ask because I've heard in the old stubby ("short length") cups didn't provide as uniform gas coverage compared the full length #12 cups. I was hoping some new better designs exists, so do you guys know of any?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I've never had or felt the need for bigger than No.8 - maybe I'm missing something - but if you watch " the other Tig guys" video's he regularly uses a very large pyrex gas lense with apparently good results - maybe ask his opinion he is helpfull & responds even to negative comments !- he maybe able to supply them - I know he sells the stubby gas lense kit for large series torches - if not I've seen them on Ebay ( shop river ) I always assumed he used them to make filming easier while maintaining torch angle but perhaps there are other valid reasons to use this setup.

On a side note some of the items featured in the Gurus videos are very hard to find or impossible outside of the US - it would be great if these were available from Jodies shop - there is a limit to how many Tig fingers a guy needs ! & most of us would be happy to help fund his extravagant lifestyle !!!
MeatHead

Well I suppose I can settle for 11/16 length since that is at least shorter than my current 1 & ~15/16" #12. What do you guys think about these cups to be used with the Weldcraft stubby large diameter gas lens?:

Is that picture accurate for that nozzle?
MeatHead

This is my torch:

CK-FL1312HSF
130 Amp FlexLoc TIG Torch 12.5' 1 Piece SuperFlex Cable.

The only large diameter gas lens that fit it was the Weldcraft Stubby Large Gas Diameter lens model. The regular large diameter gas lens has different thread style. So, does that mean my torch is comparable to a wp20?