Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

One area new TIG welders have trouble with is rhythm. How fast to advance/dip. Too much focus on the puddle can be counter-productive to rhythm at the start.

To produce even steps, that "stack of dimes", requires rhythm, as much as puddle focus.

Weld with the radio up loud. Advance Your torch in rhythm with the music. On a song with 120 bpm, you can advance the torch one beat, feed the rod with the next. This will teach you consistency, just as a metronome teaches a piano student.

Some songs will require more current/rod feed than others to match the beat. This, too, teaches.

Waylon Jennings, Pink Floyd, Fall Out Boy... Doesn't matter. Just don't try it to "Techno" on your first go... :lol:

Steve S

At about 100 BPM, "Someday", by Los Lobos is a good starter song...
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

LOL. ..I catch myself doing that exact thing at times. AC/DC has some good TIG tunes. :)
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

TamJeff wrote:LOL. ..I catch myself doing that exact thing at times. AC/DC has some good TIG tunes. :)
That's how it occurred to me. I do it, too.

When the song has the right beat....
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Now that made me laugh - it never occurred to me - used the pulse instead - now I'm a bit better I tend not use pulse as the coordination improved - struggled initially with footpedal combined with filler rod control - I work at a slight disadvantage as I have " dyspraxia " ( apparently ) just takes me a bit longer than some.

So is that why they invented " heavy metal" !!!