Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gatorslayer18
    Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 pm

I just started doing research. I read tig welding is really hard. I havent had any experience in any welding. Im pretty much setting up to weld caps on aluminum pipes. The aluminum pipes have a 1/16 walls and are 1-1/2 and the caps are solid aluminum. Im not really looking for the stacking of dimes technique. I would like to make a solid aluminum weld.

My question is what would be best to welder to weld with mig or tig? What brand and series. I have a budget of about 1200.

Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

You read right, tigging can be very hard, although some people have natural ability. The job you mentioned, 1/16 tube to solid cap, will be difficult, but give it time and plenty of practice and you'll get it. Everlast have good entry level machines.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Though I've been welding for many years, I just took up TIG welding this year, and more specifically with aluminum. Here's a couple of pictures of some recent work with 1/2" thick aluminum, and then some other thinner material, and a little steel project I did. I was running the 1/2" material with a Everlast 250EX at full power. It is the poor man's Rolls Royce. I love that machine. Welcome to the forum.

Nils
Attachments
DSCN4595.JPG
DSCN4595.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSCN5338.JPG
DSCN5338.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSCN5333.JPG
DSCN5333.JPG (122.68 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
gatorslayer18
    Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 pm

So everyone thinks everlast. What about longvitity? I saw the 5 yr warranty on that. Looks like the everlast. Will I need to buy another else beside the base to start welding aluminum?

Thanks everyone I ll be here more often soon I have to start welding by jan.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

AC for weldin AL. Pulse is nice but not essential . Kevin Caron reviews longevity on youtube.
Mick