Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

FINNIHS WELDER (sory my bad englihs) So Im trying to pass welding test 1G pipe tig with free handing keyhole technigue. Problem I cant get the root surface poke out inaf its allways litle flat. Its a 4mm thick 1200mm pipe, gap 3mm,1-2mm root face. (tryed many difrends fits) AMPS 70-80 ? I dont know are they good because im not that fast (im weld tig 1,5 years) But if I weld 8mm thick pipe 90-97A i can controll pudell nicely and make a uniform good root. IM SO FRUHSTRAYTED. I LOVE WELDING AND I WILL BECOME A GOOD ONE.. The keyhole is the (key) how much do i want it to open?? How i can prewent that the root doesent just go sides of the pipe root (HEAT) is that the thing? Filler- do I feed it inside of the pipe allmoust under the weld pool? what kind fittups for 4mm pipe fillers-Amps? No food pedal only finger controll. If enywone has some good thaughts (web pages) how can i learn more about making a good root pipe/plate ollsou Tryed MIG 3g plate 10mm V groove. JODY HAS LEARN ME SO MUCH. HES MY INSPIOUR FOR WELDING AND HAS MAKE ME 100 TIMES BETTER WELDER THANK YOU..:)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Aleksi86,

I take it you're from Finland? (If I understood correctly.)

That 3mm gap for a 4mm wall thickness seems a little large. If you have no choice, and can't use a smaller gap (I'd want 1.5mm), you're probably going to need to use less amps, and just work slower.

I'm a little confused about "1G" and pipe. Are you allowed to roll the pipe, so you're always welding on top?

Steve S
Aleksi86

YEAP Idont know is it then called 1G fixed position? But yeas I can roll it or kept in rolling divice. I rise my HAT anyone who can weld that 6g tig-smaw. Im not that skillfull yeat. :D Its sometimes me litlle difiguelt to understand everything that Jody talks about gaps and fillers,because we use mm- not inches. But still the man is wizerd what comes for metals/welding. I hope I can some day become pipewelder and can trust my skills in field. I weld KEMPPI or ESAB in here. And no I figured lately that I can use UP and DOWN SLOPE for less heat like a 1s up 3s down and end amps 20A so i can get litle time to controlling keyhole (if its getting too big) when it starts to go lets say 80A to 20Amps (3s..then 1s back to80A). Brobely my hands and moves are still so robotics. But I try that much smaller gap and Amps. Because I haf to have some technigue in my hands when I can weld that 8mm or thicker pipe roots. Id learn lot of watching only the budle movements, but dont still are 100% sure when the keyhole is right size? Then that Walking the cup nobody knows about it in here, I have tryet it litle in V groove 10mm plates and it is bretty nice trick when no one havent seen that kind of tig welding in here at least in my city. Maylbe I try master that and can get litle more advantage other welders when finding a job? I have never chat at other country welders its nice that someone likes still to help out. I belive that you get what you give (hope that was writed correct :) Thanks

That's what this forum is all about, folk sharing what they know to help another out.

I would think, with that thinner pipe-wall, closing up the gap can only help. It takes less total heat to bridge and fill that gap. My suggestion to use lower amps was in the case you can't use a smaller gap. I intended it to be "either/or". Let us know how you go with it.

"Walking the cup" is also a usefull skill. Moving the arc angle side to side lets you concentrate heat on the lands, and use less heat overall to break the wall and put metal inside the pipe. Please share your results with that, too.

Steve S
Aleksi86

Pictures todays welds. Did get some trust in my work. Today finded that keyholing sweetspot, tomorrow weld some aluminium joints. It was allso BRETTY DAM NICE FEELING WHEN I LEARN TO WELD IT :)
Attachments
Made a new sronger welding table weights about 100kg least, 4 turning wheels with breaks
Made a new sronger welding table weights about 100kg least, 4 turning wheels with breaks
av 06612.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Here are todays weldings Cap was mace by fluxcore welding mig esab 15.14 wire
Here are todays weldings Cap was mace by fluxcore welding mig esab 15.14 wire
av 083 nw.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Here are todays weldings
Here are todays weldings
av 080 new.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 964 times

It looks like the answers are coming together for you. Nice work.

Funny, isn't it, how practice improves your confidence, and your confidence improves your practice?

Steve S
Follow da blue light
    Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:It looks like the answers are coming together for you. Nice work.

Funny, isn't it, how practice improves your confidence, and your confidence improves your practice?

Steve S
Wheres the like button? 8-)

Otto Nobedder wrote:It looks like the answers are coming together for you. Nice work.

Steve S
That is the best nugget of wisdom I have read in a long time.
Just watched a UFC show on a fighter and same thing applied.

best,
jody
Aleksi86

Hi Jody nice to see your writings here, I joined this forum only couple days ago :) I have wached your site over a year and im learned so much from you.. Im not sure are you writing a book about welding? Id bye one if you are? Thank you so much
Jason123177
    Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm

If it is allowed I would run stringers on the cap with fluxcore. I have welded a lot of it and I find that if you set your voltage and wire speed correctly you can simply.drag the weld around the pipe and it comes out slicker that a baby's butt. I'm not saoying that you aren't doing great, but it looks like you need to turn the machine up and wire speed down a little. Fluxcore makes a beautiful.cap if done.correctly.
Aleksi86

Yeap i have noticed when welding fluxcore it makes very smooth surface if your travel and else are okay.. That weld was only my practises so no WPS wasent used..I just lke to have litle "touch" for fluxcore too if it someday is needed for me. So litle queston about fluxcore does it make penetration deeper because of its flux coating or is it because you (me) usually used more amps to weld it? So if you but same settings for fluxcore and barewire does fluxcore burn still deeper? Ive found some fluxcores what are amzing to weld and realy liked them when i need to weld outdoors somethin heavy steel. By the way im speaking fluxcores which needes gas flow..