Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
qwerty12
    Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Well hello to all...did not posted a while on forum...been on som damn road trips...

And got some dangerous questions :)

For short version: Can anyone please explain me what does that collor on the tip of mig needle means? I do not know whats the name of that object...its maybe 10 15cm long and has a sharp and collored tip.

Well now long version :)

A friend of mine works lot of on welding jobs...mig and arc mostly...and he is that guy type that just likes job done no teory :)
when I talk to him he does not knows what rod is he using...what gas mixture what wire diametter...man I never saw him adjusting amps on his buz box...he just picks up that rod and makes welding and he makes damn good weld. better than mine 1000 times.

And welll to make it short he bought that new tig welder and he never had one. got some gas, some wire, and learned the thing pretty fast. Buth the needle he was using went bad. And could not find needles in our small town,,,buth at that werry moment I was far away from homme in much biger town. I went to some general store and asked if they have tig needles and they said yes buth they hade blue red golden needles and much more colors. I asked what are they for and the girl working there just said i doont know...weel neether I :lol:
I called my friend and he said me neether. So finaly I bought them few golden needles just because they looked nice to me :) cause i know notthing abouth the tig welding.

Now my friend called me today and said please look on the internet if that goleden needle can weld coper and stainles steel. he tryed booth and had bad results.

And so here I am :D
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

There might be more to your friend's problem than Tungsten tips.
If he's unfamiliar with TIG welding, he might want to watch Jody's videos.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tun ... -gtaw.html
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I generally use only two colors.

I work with large transformer-style machines, not the new mini-units called inverters.

Red band is 2% Thoriated. Works for almost anything you can weld with DC. I use it on stainless steel and mild steel. It can be used on damn near anything.

Green band is pure tungsten, and is used for AC welding of aluminum with transformer-style machines.

There are many others, and I'm not sure all the colors are standardized.

My suggestion is to stick with the red until you learn more about the others. Hell, I've even used it on aluminum, though it's not my first choice.

Did you get yourself a good welding hood?

Steve S
qwerty12

@Steve you did not understood me...its not me in the question. damn english lessons, never liked them :)
i do not weld tig and dont have that type welder. I only have ac buz box.
My friend has that tig welder and he asked me to buy him those needle when I was in our state capital...and the problem was that I do not know annything abouth those needles,neether my friend, neether that shop dealer girl

@Werk... thanks on that link. You are bringing mee a lot of study work :lol: . Cause my friend does not understain english at all...so I will have to watch that wideo and then to ree-talk it to him. I hope just that I will understain all that collor mess...much complicated on first, much beyond my basic arc welding knowledge

Actually, Djorje,

I understood you fine. I figured your friend might not speak English, and I assumed you would share with him what I wrote to you.

Werkspace's link to Jody's video is probably better information, anyway.

You didn't answer... Did you get a good welding hood?

Steve S
qwerty12

hehe than it is more funny than i tought...

i tought that you did not understood me cause i have bad explained buth actualy I did not understood that you understood me :lol:

:lol:

I don't know how your language works, but English is F#$Ked up.

I'm just glad we can talk, even if we get it wrong sometimes.

Steve S
qwerty12

Never figured it why buth english always looked like some striped and choped and peeled language to me. Soo simple buth so empty to say the poent. One english word can be translated to 10 serbian...and sometimes 10 english cant describe one serbian.

I assume its not english languages fault buth those modern tehnic days. Everything must bee so empty clear today. So the language.

Wellcome to windows xp. please enter your username. copy. paste. yes. no. allow. denny.

Back to high school we red Shakespeare...well that was somme very different sort of english language...

Or maybe its just me getting older :lol:

qwerty12 wrote:Never figured it why buth english always looked like some striped and choped and peeled language to me. Soo simple buth so empty to say the poent. One english word can be translated to 10 serbian...and sometimes 10 english cant describe one serbian.

I assume its not english languages fault buth those modern tehnic days. Everything must bee so empty clear today. So the language.

Wellcome to windows xp. please enter your username. copy. paste. yes. no. allow. denny.

Back to high school we red Shakespeare...well that was somme very different sort of english language...

Or maybe its just me getting older :lol:
We're all getting older... Damnit!

All languages are suited for where they come from. I have one word for "snow". The Inuits in Alaska have at least 50 words for "snow".

I couldn't talk about snow with them They'd think me an idiot.

Steve
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Short answer, Gold is usually 1.5% Lanthanated. If his machine is an inverter based machine it should be good for both AC and DC. For transformer type machines the gold is good for all DC welding.
qwerty12

I think its inverter machine...it volume is like an old pc housing.
and has a lot of buttons and setings...I never could eaven turn it on :)