Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
paul_psi
    Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I live in Australia and am trying to get my hand on some e3 electrodes and can't seam to get any and I'm going to have to buy them from the states my first question is if it is worth it in people's opinion if anyone has used them and where would be the best place to get them online thanks in advance
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Paul,

I'm not sure that there is anything that would require you to use E3 that you couldn't weld with 2% Lanth. electrode. I'm guessing that everything that has been welded up to the point that they starting making E3 is still being welded with something else. It's nice electrode and seems to hold a point well but I don't know if I'd pay more in shipping than the electrode cost to use it. Just my opinion though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

For those who are not familiar with the E3,
check out the attached links.

http://www.e3tungsten.com/
http://e3tungsten.com/documents/E3msds_eng.pdf
paul_psi wrote:I live in Australia and am trying to get my hand on some e3 electrodes and can't seam to get any and I'm going to have to buy them from the states my first question is if it is worth it in people's opinion if anyone has used them and where would be the best place to get them online thanks in advance
paul_psi

Braehill wrote:Paul,

I'm not sure that there is anything that would require you to use E3 that you couldn't weld with 2% Lanth. electrode. I'm guessing that everything that has been welded up to the point that they starting making E3 is still being welded with something else. It's nice electrode and seems to hold a point well but I don't know if I'd pay more in shipping than the electrode cost to use it. Just my opinion though.

Len
Thanks for that I would mind giving them a go just to see what it's like I mostly weld thinner alloy and looking for a very tight arc to really pin point my weld I'm using zirconated at the moment and it seams to spread the arc a bit iv just starting using a new machine aswell

Paul,

If you're using a inverter welder there is no good reason that I know of to be using Zirconated, but if you have a transformer welder and you're welding Aluminum then Zirconated would be a good choice. I would think that any of the other blends would be better for DCEN welding for alloys. Again just my opinion.

@WerkSpace, I'm at work and for some reason that site is blocked. I'll check it out when I get home though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
paul_psi

Braehill wrote:Paul,

If you're using a inverter welder there is no good reason that I know of to be using Zirconated, but if you have a transformer welder and you're welding Aluminum then Zirconated would be a good choice. I would think that any of the other blends would be better for DCEN welding for alloys. Again just my opinion.

@WerkSpace, I'm at work and for some reason that site is blocked. I'll check it out when I get home though.

Len
Thanks for the info only reason I use zirconated is that is what the shop told me to use when I first started I never done a trade or anything just tort myself at home and watched welding tips and tricks so any advice is helpful I'll be doing a trade at night next year. Machines I use are the everlast 185 and the cigweld 200

Paul,

Not sure what the Cigweld machine is but the Everlast is an inverter welder and you can definitely use Lanthanated or Ceriated tungsten with it. These should be readily available in your area. The site tat WerkSpace referenced has a list of almost all the major players in the welding world. The only other one that comes to mind that I didn't see listed is BOC. I'm not sure who all does business down under though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I've been using 2% Lanthanated on my Everlast Powertig 200DX without any problems.

Tried the E3 but didn't see any difference so I just stuck with the Lanthanated.
coldman
  • coldman

G'day from God's own country.
My LWS keeps E3 electrodes. PH: 07 3245 6344. Ask for Greg.
I checked these out and it looks like something new and useful. If you are a novice, you will be contaminating your electrode long before there is current degradation on the tip of your electrode until you become proficient. If this is the case, my advice is to use 2% Lanthanated for everything, they work very well and you will save the expense of the E3. If you do use the E3, I would be pleased to hear some feedback.
I have used Zirconiated with Miller Dynasty power sources and they work great for aluminium only, so you need something else for steels. Lanthanated does a great job at both. E3 appears to hold more current longer if you believe the sales pitch.
Cheers cobber.