Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jsfl
    Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 am

I have been practicing running beads on aluminum around 26 gauge. I have no problem running beads, but when I try to do but welds the edges blow out on me. I am using an HTP Invertig 221, .040 2% lanth tungsten, with number 5 gas lense. Running about 15 scfh argon. Tried to go lower but tungsten always got contaminated almost immediately. I have tried multiple amps, and pulse modes. Please give any advise.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Try striking your arc on the filler and then move it to the base metal. You'll get a little ball of filler ready to wet out and you'll quickly have more metal there to help control the heat. Keep the puddle satisfied and frequent dips will also help with your heat control.

What diameter rod are you using? If it's too large, you may need too much heat to melt it while keeping that very thin sheet intact.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

26 gauge - holy cow that is thin!

What are you trying to make? Maybe need a redesign for lap welds?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Jsfl welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

One thing that may help to to turn yout gas down. When your running low amps like that you don't want as much gas flow. When I do .030 aluminum at work, usually outside corner joints and butt welds, I run about 10 cfh number 4 defuser set up.
ajlskater1

You could also try welding it on dc ep instead of ac.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ajlskater1 wrote:You could also try welding it on dc ep instead of ac.
Good idea - remember to use a larger tungsten though.

I've experimented with this and too small of tungsten will eventually blow up :oops:

DCEP amps
1/16" tungsten 10-20 amps
3/32" tungsten 15-30
1/8" tungsten 25-40

We did it with a DC only ThermalArc 95 and it worked great :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
jsfl

Thanks for the feedback. I will try dc and see how that works.
I can usually get a bead going then after 1/2" to 1" in have problems. As for cup size 5 is the smallest I have now in gas lense. I have a 4 regular cup. As I said. I tried less gas flow around 6-10 cfh but the tungsten turned black and would not keep a point . Not sure why. I will try again and see what happens.
Last edited by jsfl on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsfl

Also I am using .035 mig wire as filler.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow - I don't think I'd even try 26gauge in ali !
Is it possible to use a copper backing strip to help with heat soak & blow through ?
ajlskater1

If you try the dc ep I would guess a 1/16 will work best but mayb 3/32 depending how fast you weld. The gas just help with arc stability at lo ower amps so it can allow yoy to weld at slightly lower and be in more control. Ma yb try a new defuser, it miggt be slightly plugged and at low gas everything little matters more. Copper would also greatly help if possible.
ajlskater1

O and not how long of a weld you are trying to f2f o but unless you have a awesome I wouldn't weld much more than lije 3 or 4 inches, just to help with distortion and heat satyration and back step your weld if it is a long weld.
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

try backing it up with some copper! i save all the pieces of copper just like jody does! its handy for stainless as well
jsfl

Got better results last night. I used a regular #4 alum cup and was able to turn gas down. I also adjusted my freq. to 50, bal 50. Had the pulse freq. at 10 pps, 25% duty cycle, and. ran around 35 amps.Played with that and never got around to switching to dc. Still will try that later and see how it works.