Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

As I read about people who love their old transformer TIG welders, I have been thinking that if a good deal came along that was local to me I would buy one. Ideally something in the 300 amp range as I aready have my HTP 221. Are there any of the old Millers or Lincolns that are good models to avoid? How is the parts availability for some of the old machines?

Thanks.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Idealarc Tig 300/300 good old machine. My friend has one and uses it quite a bit
Just do not give a lot of money for one :| 2 cents John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Check with your local metal recyclers and ask them to call you if anything comes in the yard.
I see perfectly good running transformer machines hit the yard, because they cost too much to run.

In today's economy every dollar counts. The disadvantage of the inverters is that they are noisy.
This is because they are being switched on/off at various frequencies to efficiently convert power.
The transformer machines are quieter because they operate on a sinewave that gently sweeps up and down.

The new inverter machines are lighter and consume less energy.
Transformer machines are medium wasters of energy.
Linear regulators are the highest wasters of energy as they dissipate the most heat.

If you want a basic crash course in power supplies check here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUug3WNIZI
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for the link to the crash course in power supplies. Very informative!

I suppose the best choice would be an old syncrowave 250. I know they are great machines, but are parts still available for the older ones?
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

AKweldshop wrote:Idealarc Tig 300/300 good old machine. My friend has one and uses it quite a bit
Just do not give a lot of money for one :| 2 cents John
And even better, if you can find a good Square Wave TIG 355, grab it fast ! IMO , a much nicer machine than this modern inverter crap.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... /im467.pdf