Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi
Just a quicky found these cleaning discs in a hardware store here, fit to 4" grinder and are brilliant for cleaning aluminium prior to welding much better than the Brillo pads and leaves no residue, some green colour Is left by the Brillo pads
Made in China only no other info on the disc and no box. Sorry
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Marc. Aussie on the loose
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Looks like a very nice cleaning wheel do they last long?

ajlskater1 wrote:Looks like a very nice cleaning wheel do they last long?
Sofar it has lasted about 40 cleans of 25x50 RHS. ( Rectangular hollow section) and it is about 12% worn. So yeh I recon it is good an only cost $2:25..cheaper than buying the pads.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

I am going to have to look for those.

I will try to find out more info on them week after next when I get a chance to go back to the store.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

you can find these pads in any good sized supermarket.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

j,

Since he's referring to the one on the left, sized for a 5/8" arbor grinder, I have to ask what supermarket you've seen these at? I would like to find them that conveniently, and give them a go.

My concern is that they appear to have a plastic matrix for the abrasive, like a Scotchbrite, and have the potential to leave organic residue like a Scotchbrite.

I'd love to hear more about them, as anything that makes work easier is important to me! :D

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:j,

Since he's referring to the one on the left, sized for a 5/8" arbor grinder, I have to ask what supermarket you've seen these at? I would like to find them that conveniently, and give them a go.

My concern is that they appear to have a plastic matrix for the abrasive, like a Scotchbrite, and have the potential to leave organic residue like a Scotchbrite.

I'd love to hear more about them, as anything that makes work easier is important to me! :D

Steve S
Hi Steve
You are probably correct in you assumption on matrix, but the only other option is a S/s wire brush and I don't think as effective and quick as these..
Now I am no expert and as such found the welds to be cleaner using these than the scotch bright.
But I will try to find out more info. If you send me your address I post one to you to try.

Marc,

If you can give me the particulars, I can probably find it local (or through McMaster-Carr) for less than posting it from Malaysia, and get my employer to pick up the tab.

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:j,

Steve S
i see the flat ones (on the other left) in the household isle in key foods and in pathmark. these are scouring pads used to clean pots and pans. they are also used in a larger configuration in floor buffing machines for stripping terrazzo floors. we also have them in the kitchen where i work but come in stacks of 1 foot square sheets in shrink wrapped plastic.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I live halfway between two Airgas stores. Bennington VT stocks these in two varieties: orange is tougher, works well for removing paint, or for prepping aluminum. The plain ones shown are great, but be very careful to only grind off the edge. If these catch on an edge they shred. You still should follow up with Scotchbright hand held pads, these I get at Home Depot.
Bill
Bill Beauregard

I first saw them on a you tube video. Some character in Australia demonstrated them for removing paint on steel auto bodies. He also had a way of removing rust with a fermented mix of molasses and water. I haven't tried it, his videos are pretty impressive. His skill at restoring rusted away auto bodies is most impressive!

Bill
Bill Beauregard

The orange ones I like best are by Norton called Blaze. The plain ones will work ok on flat sheet, just don't get too near an edge. They are marketed by Radnor.

Bill

Thanks, Bill,

If Radnor sells them, I can find them.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks, Bill,

If Radnor sells them, I can find them.

Steve S
Hi Steve
I found a online shop in US that sells similar discs as I posted photo. Only the price is a lot more, but there is a choice of 3 types with different grip and texture. Check out the link

http://www.weldfabulous.com/p-23291-sai ... -pkg4.aspx
Bill Beauregard

Just an update; the blaze pads from Norton I thought were so great are great until they wear down. I was using some salvaged material to build a light weight welding table. I had a terrible time with contamination, a puddle would start to form, as cleaning action expanded things looked OK, I introduce filler rod, and instant black. Rod would ball up, drip and roll around. What a mess!
It was days later I noticed the burning rubber smell from the grinder, it was old, and cheap Craftsman my father bought on sale 25 years ago. I passed it off, the grinder must be on its last leg. I switched to a newer tool, still the stench. I think I have it figured out, the adhesive holding abrasive "sponge" to backer is contaminating aluminum.
The search is still on. The Radnor pad still seems good. I've not yet worn it down as far.

Interesting and thanks Bill. I never experienced that with the no name Chinese ones I bought, but I did not use until completely gone.
Are you using a lot of pressure when cleaning, I only buffed the area lightly.. Maybe you should try a sanding disc first if you have a too of scale.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I bought one for 4 1/2" grinder at -> yes, Big Lots. It Works very well & is lasting a long time (for as much as I use it).

It was made in Thailand of all places, has the threaded mount & cost $1.49. I went & got another one, dont know when I'll ever use it.

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
Bill Beauregard

I just stumbled again on the "Australasian" Dave Ailey. I'm not sure any more if he is in Australia. He calls them Strip It. At one point I found at Fastenall some made by 3M They seemed unable to find a variety compatible with a 4-1/2" hand held grinder.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

In the aviation industry, we use 3M Scotch Brite Roloc Surface Conditioning discs in either 2" or 3" diameters.
They are very effective and come in several grits. If desired, you can completely remove weld beads in seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIb97ELOOsM