Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dmckoy
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm

how can I train myself to weld with my left hand which is my handicap any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Man, I'm still working on it :D I was gonna ask you how you do it, but oh well.... ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Doesn't hurt to teach yourself other tasks left-handed.

I taught myself to shoot pool left-handed, for example, and my right-hand game improved significantly for making myself go through the fundamentals again. I can even throw darts left-handed now.

2 cents..

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I've had times when it was more convenient to weld with my left hand....
Since I suck at left hand anything, even waving :D I was forced to weld with my right hand....
Poor bringing up I guess.
I started welding at like, 12, in my Grandpas shop, and I welded for years with my right hand.
Just cant seen to shake that habit....
I'll start working on it though.
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

dmckoy wrote:how can I train myself to weld with my left hand which is my handicap any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks
In addition to purposely practicing with your left hand, do a bunch of stuff left handed and your brain will switch just fine.

For instance write and sketch (doodle) left handed. Hammer nails left handed - easy stuff like that.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I must be one of the lucky ones. I can write with either hand, shoot basketball or darts with either hand, etc.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

WerkSpace wrote:I must be one of the lucky ones. I can write with either hand, shoot basketball or darts with either hand, etc.
Me too. I tell people the easiest way to begin practicing in the modern world is to only use your left hand to run the computer mouse. That gives dexterity and gets rid of the jerky movements. If you're a gun person shoot the pistol ONLY with your off hand.It'll take you a few months but it's easily doable. Six weeks, when I was a younger kid(13) ;) with my arm in a cast got me going. Throwing the ball, playing ping pong, writing, turning pages in a book,working on my mini bike(cause of the broken arm) choking the chicken :lol:
SO. Just weld left handed from now on on non-critical stuff.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey

They way i learnt was through necessity. Tigging up to a bracket that wouldnt allow the filler rod hand to go where it wanted. So i swapped. a bit rough but it works. So get up in a corner swap hands and travel in the opposite direction. you may surprise yourself.

Mick
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Luckily for me I was born left handed. This being a right handed world us south paws
are at an advantage simply because we're "forced" to comply to right handed stuff.

That said, with enough practice it will become second nature.