Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
JayB12
    Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 am

Here goes, I'm in college and don't have a ton of money to burn but I got a little HF Mig Welder like 2yrs ago, seems to work fine for most things but never looks pretty. But I can't just whip out a grand for a Decent TIG Machine.

Here's my question, My pap has this OLD Miller AC/DC Stick welder Specifically a "Model 250" as printed on the machine. Which He said i could use anytime, I also have a cheap source of Argon to use. I was reading and looks like I could attach a TIG torch to it and do Steel by scratch starting it. But is there also any way I could do Alum? Also what settings should I use? Also the two ports on the bottom which go to what? One is labeled "work" the other "electrode."

I'm REALLY new to TIG, I've watched a ton of Youtube Videos and such, but not a whole lot pertaining to this.

Torch I intended to buy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-26FV-12R-12- ... 3a88636dc5

Regulator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Argon-CO2-M ... 20b74c4d3c

Attached is a picture of what the machine looks like.

Please shoot my any tips/advice/criticism. I really am inexperienced in anything welding so really anything helps.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

You can use what you linked for scratch start in DC. AC won't maintain the arc without a high freq box. So no alum. Torch lead goes to electrode port, gas line goes to bottle and the third line for the trigger switch will be unused. The torch will always be hot when the machine is on. Set the machine to STR. Polarity to get DCEN.

I'm used to seeing torch setups like in the link below for scratch start though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WP26V-12R-TIG-T ... 6320709%26
Nick
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

And without looking at the machine or the manual I can't say that the dinse connector on that torch you linked will fit the machine.
Nick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Jay.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A Dinse connector will NOT fit that machine. You'll need to rig up a simple adapter using the original stick-holder connector.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Jay,

Miles of welds are being done out in the field everyday with the regular electrode clamped onto the brass lug that's shown in the link AFSATCOM posted. I do it on a regular basis at work with a welder that's as old or older than the one you are trying to use. It will weld everything but Aluminum since there's no High Frequency on that welder. You'll need a torch with a built in gas valve to be able to start and stop the Argon flow at the torch, and the adapter that normally hooks to a threaded lug on the welder.

This may be a time when I'd say to go to your local welding supply and tell them what you're trying to do and pay the extra money, but you'll get the right stuff the first time. They may even have a used 17 or 26 torch that they have repaired the threads on in the back that you could buy cheap.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
JayB12
    Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 am

I was understanding that I could just clamp the "electrode" (or whatever the clamp that holds the stick when stick welding is called) to the little nub on the end of the torch, not actually plug it in to the machine. Is that basically the same concept for the other torch? Just in the little ring area? I just like the look of the blue one better, not that it's a big deal between buying one or the other.

One other question, I don't see the Tungsten part in either of those pictures, is that something that would be included or at least normally be included, or so i just have to get those separate at a local welding supply?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

hey mate.

tungstens are sometime supplied or sometimes not. if not you can pick them up at any welding supply. when you get your torch, take it with you so you get the right size (daimeter) one. make sure they know you are welding steel so they can supply the optimum type.

mick
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Jay,
Yes, the electrode holder will just clamp on the end of the torch in either the ring terminal or the twist lock end (Dinse connector). I don't know if your electrode holder will open wide enough to accept the Dinse connector or not, not likely. You'll also need a short peice of Argon hose to go from your regulator to the hose connection on the torch.

Tungsten can be purcased at most local welding supply stores or in about a million places online, avoid cheap chinese tungsten at all cost. It will give you problems that a new welder doesn't even know they have. I'm not sure what collets come with those torches but I would start with 3/32" tungsten to get started with, it's about middle of the road and will weld almost anything you will encounter while learning.

Keep asking questions as you go and somebody here will steer you straight.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len