Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
wojtech
    Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:55 am

After a recent accident at my regular place of work I lost the top part of my middle finger. After recovering I was back into a half finished project, I then realised the playing guitar was not the only thing I was going to find difficult.
I'm having problems feeding rod into welds and am looking for tips on a modified technique
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

your right, feeding tig wire is kinda hard without using your middle finger
Here's how I feed tig rod, and yes, my middle finger does a lot of the work....
I would just sit down at a table and practice feeding the wire all different ways thru your fingers...
Good Luck, John

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (90.09 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
forgive me about my messy shop :|
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Sorry to hear of your accident - I'm sure if you're determined & keep at it you will find a way to modify your wire feeding - maybe even try to swap hands & hold the torch with the damaged one - feeding with the good one - but if your looking for an alternative try Ebay item

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIG-WELDING-P ... 33502a5a08

May not be clear in the picture but you hold the body & use the thumb to operate a lever on the side - this grips the filler rod & advances it by up to around 1-1/4" per grip - release the lever & it resets to travel a similar amount each time - I was tempted as I find smooth feeding difficult but have so far not tried one - really want to get steadier without resorting to this - but in your case it maybe the answer.
Depdog
    Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

I have been wanting to try out the tig pen (just because I'm a gadget guy LOL). Could not find anyone in the states that sells them. Price is shipping is a bit steep from across the pond. I did find a thread where someone made a "tig cheater" it was just some wire in the shape of a crude pistol grip. Had coiled wire at both ends that the filler ran through. The two springs kept tension on the filler and kept it from moving. Looked like you used your finger or thumb to relieve the tension and let the wire slip forward.

I can see it in my head, but cant explain it..

Glenn
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=TIG+ ... 5&ie=UTF-8

The yellow pen was available in the US some years ago. I got one in CA, never used it . If I can find it l'll see if there is a mfg address on the box. Strange that no US outlets show up now on Google though.

PS Just found this ; http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?102641-Tig-pen Cyberweld
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Somebody could mod-make a set of dies for a rivet gun. You know any good machinists ? Lighten up the spring considerably and squeeze away.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I think the travel per grip on riveting pliers would be too small for practical use on this - if your determined to make something then have a look at how a mastic / caulking gun operates & replicate something similar to suit the filler rod gauge - but unless you have a dexterity / damaged hand issue I don't see any real real need for these devices - just practice some till your hand eye coordination clicks - to use one with a perfectly good working hand makes little sense in my opinion - it becomes more like a gimmick to hide poor technique behind.
Depdog
    Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Check this thread, it has a home made "Tig Cheater" that might work for you.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?16 ... Filler-Rod

Glenn