Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Camerondoherty
    Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 am

Took my tig test and passed two roots and a cover .my last coupon I vent incorrectly so I had failed.so I went to take my test again.i would get splatter when tacking .so I made sure to grind it out nicely and wire wheel everything it was clean.ny partner got the root and machine down to work so I cut my piece .i layed my root prrfectly.i have a fresh tank and my psi into machine is about 25 to thirty with five seconds of argon after pedal release.when I started my fillers my metal was not being shielded .and my weld had pores .i grinded it out and tried again.making sure I had shielding gas.i did and my settings were the same it had been.i have a clean. 2 percent thngsten .using a miller syncrowave machine that's water cooled.my teacher assistant tried and had same problem.i didn't have enough time to test so I didn't stay long enough to trouble shoot machine as teacher was testing students.any ideas so I can possibly try to figure tho out?i love welding with a passion I gave up paintball for it and would love some information from some experienced welder a on what I could do to figure this out.thanks guys !!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Cameron,

Our Syncrowaves at work have a programmable pre-flow that functions with the remote (pedal, thumbwheel, or switch), that may have been set too low on your machine.

Try this, on a sample weld. Tap and release the pedal before you bring the tungten in to start the arc, to start gas flow. Then move in and start your arc before the post-flow (5 seconds, you said?) stops, and see if this solves the problem.

I don't have the manual in front of me, so I can't tell you how to re-program the pre-flow. If you tell us which model syncrowave you have, someone here may be able to guide you through it.

Steve S
Camerondoherty
    Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 am

Otto I will have to try that . Also was researching that possibly moisture can get in the tank? I'll find out at school .a friend that welds said to try a a wire gas lense in my nozzle to evenly disperse my gas as he has has a problem with turbulence and problems with the straight nozzle