Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigChevy17
    Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 pm

About a month ago I finally decided I was going to learn to weld so I went to harbor freight and bought the 90 amp chicago electric flux core wire welder, pretty much the cheapest one you can buy. Ive been practicing everyday since I bought it and with the help of this site, I have came a long way. I've been wanting to step up to nice lincoln mig but after reading a little bit about tig I think that might be a route to consider, but I want some input from more experienced people before I decide which machine I want. From what I got from this site, tig is perfect for welding aluminum but how is it for steel? Im going to weld alot of steel tubing and sheet metal, but I would weld some aluminum and stainless too.
Do you guys think a tig is the right welder for me?
Thanks
badbakey
    Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:23 pm

my answer is TIG is right for everyone lol, its quiter, smoother and there's no sparks :lol: . if you start trying to TIG it can get relitivly expensive, aluminium isnt cheap! but i deffinatly suggest getting a tig machine. there MUCH more universal than your standerd MIG/MAG machine. if you get good you can even try playing with some copper or titanium ;) .
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If your not worried about production speed and you want to turn out the highest quality welds possible, tig is the way to go.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
weldingrocky
    Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:11 pm

GTAW is going to get you the most money is, its the most versitile, takes the most skill, and is the cleanest and most precise. Starting out I think SMAW or stick is the best to learn on, just my opinion though.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

The defining answer to your question is where you plan to do most of your welding. TIG can be done outdoors but it requires the use of curtains or shields of some sort to block even the slightest breeze. Its best done and easiest learned while working in a indoor shop environment. Solid core MIG welding is susceptable to the same chalenges but you have the ability to switch to Flux core to solve the problem.

The advantage of learning TIG is that it WILL improve all of your other welding skills. Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing difficult about understanding the welding process. A few weeks spent on this board listening to what Jody has to say and taking good reference notes and the study part is done. From there on out its practice, practice, practice x 10000000.

I actually get encourage when I see Jody try something different and it doesn't work out the way he expected. He knows why it didn't work but tried it anyway just because its a hands on way to learn.. Well, that's what I think anyway.. Could be he's just messin with us newbies.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..