Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
vr6swap
    Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am

I have (free) access to a modest assload of aluminum junk that I would like to use for TIG practice, provided I can get it clean enough to fool with.

There's a small amount of cast (which is almost clean enough as-is I guess), a big box of billet pieces (anodized black) and some tubing (painted, looks to have an etch primer underneath).

The paint comes off somewhat easily in the blasting cabinet, but not sure how to clean it up afterwards. The anodized stuff I guess could be stripped with oven cleaner, and / or blasted as well. Not sure how to clean that up either.

Like I said it's free, but if it's not worth the effort I can always keep looking.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

vr6swap,
In my opinion if it if free and you have a 4-1/2" grinder with 36 grit it will be worth it. If all you are doing is practicing or padding than you can easily remove the anodized finish and weld. Keep in mind when grinding this stuff wear your respirator and when you first light up it will/might spell. It all this is not for you, pass. The cast will be good material to practice with. Just my two cents.