Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

I have a couple chainsaw cases that got cracked when I accidentally backed over them with my bobcat a little while back. I have never welded magnesium before and was wander if anybody has any tips pointer or any info they want to share. The casting pieces are 1/8in thick from a couple stihl chainsaws. Pretty clean breaks all but one of the pieces are flat and the other is on the bottom edge of the oil tanks where it gets a bit thicker but shouldn't be to bad. Thanks for any help!
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I've only done it once on an old gear box, your hardness obstacle will be getting it clean and free of all the oils, Acetone works well. Basically you'll treat it like you would aluminum. I pre heat to 280-300 degrees F and let it cool slowly, could bury the casting in sand as well as it cools. I used a carbide cutter on my die grinder to clean it up pre and pos

I believe I used AZ101 filler material....

I searched and found a video from Jody for ya...

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel ... esium.html
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
2T Institute
    Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Never welded magnesium but it is 1/3 the density of aluminium so drop through from too much heat is always a chance.