Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey guys I am totally new to tig welding beside just trying it on my own. I have a Syncrowave 350 with a Diamond back wp26 torch I don't plan on welding anything to heavy any time soon. 1/16" (red) tungsten flowing 13 CFH and a #5 cup

Here is my question I am welding 14/16 Ga mild steel and I don't even have a clue on where to put what settings I am starting with this just to get my feet wet.
ARC Control: OFF
Start Amperage is :OFF
AC Balance: 5
Postflow time is around 12
Crater fill time is off
DC Electrodes negative is selected
for the High Frequency Where should it be such as START : OFF : CONTINUOUS?

I am new to this so "ANY INPUT" is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Jason
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Do you have a foot pedal?
You should be on DCEN and your post flow set.
that's about it.
HF on start for DC

Anyone else?

~John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jason_alex

Yes sorry I have the foot petal RC-14 hooked up, also just got done reading that I need to move AC balance to around 2 for square wave.

Also what is the easiest joint to practice on?

You shouldn't need AC anything, when you switch to DC all that stuff goes off.
You should be on DCEN, post flow set your preference, on remote foot control.
Set max amps, maybe 70-80.
I like to practice t-joints and lap-joints.

John~

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jason_alex

Okay so report I moved ac balance into the balanced range... weather or not it has any difference im not sure... but I did also regrind my tungsten and cut off a 1/2" seamed to make a huge difference!!! apparently I had some contamination because when I would run a bead it would look oxidized after I got done welding it and the surface was ground to start with.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Like previously stated moving the AC balance will have no effect in DCEN. You can turn your post flow down a little and save some gas go to 9.. I weld with a 350LX every day ;) nice machine
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Jason_alex

Thank you

Will do has been welding better I think some one scratch started with this tungsten.

One other thing the foot pedal is not turn the gas on and off.... is this normal or is there a valve that is not closing?

you should be in the remote mode. if you not in the remote mode the foot pedal is not doing the controlling.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jason_alex

I Have Both Switches In Remote 14 And Gas JuSt Keep flowing
Rick_H

Can you snap a pic of the front of the machine running? Does it HF start or do you have to touch the work piece?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

How old is this 350? The newer ones have a built in water cooler and i noticed you are running an air cooled torch. Wondering how the torch is hooked up? Maybe we can figure out you gas issue.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Jason_alex

I had High frequency start in the continuous position and switched it to start only seamed to help a lot, not sure if it was just me though?

It is an older model and I do not think it has a water cooler, but it dose have a water in water out line im guessing to a valve? July 1991 ish KB076607 through KC258280 is the manual it comes up for. on miller welds website under manual.

It is an air cooled torch WP26 Miller diamond back torch right now I have the gas hose go from the bottle the the welder then from the welder to the power lug/torch connector.

I will grab some pictures of it Monday morning of the bottom part of the unit.

Thanks,
Jason
Rick_H

You'll mostly use HF start in DCEN and DCEP and then switch to continuous when you go to AC
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Jason_alex

I see note taken
Jason_alex

Okay, after looking closer to make sure it was hooked up right the gas hoses where flipped. Now when I turn the welder off it will turn the gas off to, so so nice!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Gas hoses? plural?

Okay, now I'm confused.
Jason_alex

It was wondering how the torch was hooked up. The machine is running a lot better now I have not sure what did it but all the changes have made the machine a ton better!
Rick_H

Otto Nobedder wrote:Gas hoses? plural?

Okay, now I'm confused.

Yeah me too..lol

How many hoses do you have with that torch?
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Jason_alex

It was when Arizona ask how the hoses where hooked up that I took a closer look. Here is the picture before I changed the gas hoses. (the one that goes under the welder is hooked up to the argon bottle.

I think all the problems are fixed with this welder I think it is all operator error now. I will check and make sure though.

Thanks,
Jason
Attachments
IMG_20140214_162459_695.jpg
IMG_20140214_162459_695.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
IMG_20140217_100606_854.jpg
IMG_20140217_100606_854.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

Yes I got you know.
One of those black hoses comes from the bottle, into the machine, through a selanoid, and the one coming out of the machine goes to the torch... I don't think you can hook them up backwards, I think its just a door that opens.
What operator error did you find??
~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jason_alex

Lol I am the operator error apparently you can hook them up backwards it was news to me.

So do you have it fixed?

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jason_alex

Yes I think so... I know the arc is more controllable looks like most of it was steel that got into the tungsten, I have a lot to learn about tig but all and all it worked good except the gas dosnt shut off until the machine shuts off and I have it set to stop after a 6 second delay.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm glad i could be of some help on the issue but what do you mean about the gas shutting of when the machine does? When you power off it stops? If this is the case you may have a bad gas solenoid or it may need cleaning.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Jason_alex

Thats what I am thinking that it to be replaced not sure exactly how to clean the valve. Or are you talking about the contacts?