Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

I want to get some 309 stainless as I understand that it is the best filler to use for welding dis-similar metals such as mild steel to stainless. In looking at my supplier's website, there seems to be 3 types: 309, 309L, and 309LSi. In general, which of these fillers would be best for "all purpose" use?

I realize that they probably all have specific applications, but I just wanted to get a bit to experiment with.
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

450dualsport wrote:I want to get some 309 stainless as I understand that it is the best filler to use for welding dis-similar metals such as mild steel to stainless. In looking at my supplier's website, there seems to be 3 types: 309, 309L, and 309LSi. In general, which of these fillers would be best for "all purpose" use?

I realize that they probably all have specific applications, but I just wanted to get a bit to experiment with.
309L the L means low carbon and less prone to cracking

LSi adds silicon. No experience with it so can't comment
Nick
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

The addition of silicon is for the mild steel to help flux it a little, but if you plan to use it on stainless to stainless of a different make up it has little benefit. I choose the 309L if I'm paying, it's good for stainless to stainless and stainless to mild and low carbon steel. They all work well for their intended purpose but I use the straight 309 the least.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks for the input. I will give the 309L a try.