Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

so I bought a Chinese machine and it didn't explode after 25+pounds of 1/8th 6011,7014 and 7018 so I decided to try TIG
suggestions and helpful criticism is welcomed, bashing my machine isn't necessary I know it is crap, but im not bleeding money to buy a premium brand
Attachments
second or 3rd try
second or 3rd try
IMAG0035.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 758 times
first try
first try
IMAG0034.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 758 times
the machine :(
the machine :(
IMAG0037.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 758 times
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Unless your user name is based on your welder nobody here is going to bash your welder.

We see and welcome questions about welders and weldors from all over the globe.

I'm going to let the many fellows here with everyday Tig experience critique your welds, but I can offer a welcome to the forum.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

brokeitagain,
First welcome to the forum! Second I would never bash someone's welder. We all start out with what we can afford or what we just have, the important thing is we learn and continue to move up. If these are your first welds I would have to say you are on your way. The first looks like you were using the lay-wire technique. For now the only critique I will give is it looks like you are snapping off at the end of some of your welds, as opposed to trailing off and moving back. Try adding one last dap of filler and slowly tapering off while either moving back on the weld or moving in a tight circle. One of these techniques will work you. It is really hard to judge a first few welds by their cover, because you will improve very rapidly in the next few weeks. I think you are doing rather well! Keep it up and keep the pictures coming!
When you get the time, give us a full review of your machine, maybe this will help someone else in their machine decision.
-Jonathan
brokeitagain

Thanks for the positive input, the top picture was done without filler I had to move really fast on it because I think I was set too high. I have lots of mig welding time from being a mechanic for nearly 20 years I do a fair amount of exhaust in my shop, I purchased the tig because I intend to do a full stainless steel dual exhaust system on my blazer th replace the aluminized junk that I put on it 5 years ago that is beginning to rot away. Im sure ill have many more questions and pics to show and hopefully make this something I can do with confidence and not worry that someone will see it and laugh :D
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Keep the arc short and the torch angle steady. Run it a bit hotter and move a bit faster and your welds won't look as baked as they do. And the only time I'll bash a machine is when folks try to use em outside of their limits.
Nick
brokeitagain

thanks all, im going out to my shop to try out some more welding, wish me luck and maybe ill have some pics,