Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gashmore

After many hours of TIG practice I have gotten pretty confident laying a smooth even bead on my .065 wall stainless tube but have found a problem when I blend the weld into the tube. This is all saddle tee joints. Most at 90 degrees and a few at 60 degrees. After tacking I weld opposite quarters. About 80% of the time the joint blends in perfect but the other 20% I get a hairline depression at the edge of the bead and I can't grind it out without getting into the tube wall. It looks like a little of the tube wall is being drawn into the bead leaving the depression. I get the same problem occasionally where the welds overlap but those are easier to blend out. I just can't spot what I am doing different.

What am I doing wrong?
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

try lowering the amps a litl 2-3, add more filler, and u can see when this is happening, i just move the torch a few mm back and the puddle does the rest.

also, when welding ss don't weave much, just control the puddle.
try to post some pix for better explanations.

hope this helps.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

try a little more filler fed from the highest point of the weld and let it flow down to the puddle.

Anthony
gashmore

I think I have figured it out. On these saddle tees the line seems to happen along the side as I get slightly out of position and the torch tilts to much. I believe I am dwelling in that area a bit to long and applying to much heat. I tried rotating my quarters 45 degrees welding over the top on either side then repositioning to weld around the sides. Seems to have solved the problem.