Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rowlanma
    Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Could anyone and everyone please answer these few questions. I really need your help.

1. What type of welding glove do you use?
2. Do you use this glove exclusively?
3. If yes why? If no why are you a multi-brand user?

Please rank the following on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest)

1. How important is dexterity?
2. How important is price?
3. How important is protection?
4. How important is overall glove quality?
5. How important is comfort?
6. How important is durability?
7. How important is innovation in a welding glove?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Please introduce yourself . I dont think youll get too many responses if you seem to be a commercial seller "scoping " for info. Please reply or I will delete post.

Mick
rowlanma

Great advice!
Hello All. My name is Michael Rowland and I am an academic advisor and graduate student @ the University of Cincinnati. I am working on my capstone project that revolves around welding gloves. I am just attempting to get some general information about how welders view different types of gloves.
If you could give me any assistance that would be very helpful.
THANKS!

Hey,

Thats great. We get some "spammers" trying it on from time to time. I will clone your topic into the general shop talk area as well.

I am a welder from Australia , I do Mig and Flux core, with tig for repairs.

We use "no name " heavy orange ones for mig and f/c. The main points are pliability of the glove from new , and that the liner must be integral in the glove. Some really cheap ones ive used have a loose liner that sticks to your hand when you sweat and pulls inside out. grrrr.

Another useful point is when you can buy "lefties" or "righties", that is a single glove because you always wear one out faster than the other.

For tig i use an Elliot long cuff doe skin (or similar) I like the long cuff because my overalls (coveralls) tuck into them and avoid exposing my wrists to burns.

Hope this is usefull. Ps i dont pay, work does, however, price isnt as important as a product that does what i need it to do.

Mick
rowlanma

Great stuff. Thank you very much!
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

BSX Goatskskin f/r
long cuff gauntlet velcro closer
jersey liner
extra leather pad on little finger extending to heel of hand

and a tig finger

indoor bench welding
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
coldman
  • coldman

For TIG work I use BSX flame resistance tig glove with velcro closer in 2XL. Has got excellent dexterity and feel and fits my hand (been described like a pound of pork sausages in the past). Much of my TIG work is pipe usually frustrated with other pipes, steel, hangers, etc. Loose cuffs have a nasty habit of catching on these steel corners or ends causing stray arc strikes or flicking my filler wire exactly where I don't want it. Velcro closer eliminates this. Gotta buy em from USA in this size and have em posted out.

For stick/mig work I use Lincoln blue gauntlet, the only one from my LWS that fits me, very good quality and reasonable price.
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

rick9345 wrote:BSX Goatskskin f/r
long cuff gauntlet velcro closer
jersey liner
extra leather pad on little finger extending to heel of hand

and a tig finger
X2.
Those or the tiggster gloves in large. They both hold up well, good fit. Some gloves seem to have the one finger that has an extra inch at the end. The only down side I find with the BSX is that you if you torch your finger they take a few seconds to get off :o
coldman
  • coldman

I know what you mean. Last week a stream of grinding sparks went straight through the flame resistant material on the back of my left glove and burned a neat hole in the back of my hand. Cuss cuss.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Kodiak Kevlar med weight and Cayman Revolution.Left hand only....unless I'm using a torch....sometimes.
Price is irrelevant(within reason).Dexterity is of the utmost importance.Kevlar stitching is a must.Dead animal is a must.

1. How important is dexterity? 10
2. How important is price? 1
3. How important is protection? 10--Dead animals are 10
4. How important is overall glove quality? 10 -Kevlar
5. How important is comfort? 3
6. How important is durability? 10 Dead animal + kevlar=10
7. How important is innovation in a welding glove? 0 I have 10 fingers----so far.

I do favour putting my hand inside a dead animal rather than some synthetic stuff, lol :lol:
coldman
  • coldman

I agree, I just need to find one that fits and without floppy cuffs. Tired of looking.
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

coldman wrote:I agree, I just need to find one that fits and without floppy cuffs. Tired of looking.
Depending on how much you want to spend you could check out some nomex flight gloves. I have 2 pairs left over from the military. Snug fit without "floppy" cuffs. I'd say ideal for tig welding.
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

rowlanma wrote:Could anyone and everyone please answer these few questions. I really need your help.

1. What type of welding glove do you use? a soft TIG glove
2. Do you use this glove exclusively? no
3. If yes why? If no why are you a multi-brand user?

Please rank the following on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest)

1. How important is dexterity? 10
2. How important is price? 1
3. How important is protection? 8
4. How important is overall glove quality? 8
5. How important is comfort? 9
6. How important is durability? 7
7. How important is innovation in a welding glove?
rowlanma

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. THIS IS GREAT STUFF!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

When I use gloves, I prefer lightweight goatskin work gloves (bulk pack at work... don't know the brand), little to no cuff. (Primarily TIG).

I avoid using gloves when I can, but dexterity/snug fit/feel are key.

I also MIG weld, so I prefer a glove that's stiched inverted with a thread guard (Meaning sewn inside out with a welt to protect the threads when the glove is right-side-out. Tillman makes a decent glove of this type.

I occasionally do torch/plasma cutter work, including washing out existing welds, when I get out my leathers... I Have a pair of gloves, branded "Big Jake", sewn with kevlar, bought at a Fastenall store. They're heavy, but much lighter and more dexterous than those cheap "no-name" welding gloves, provide good insulation, and have yet to "shrink" like goatskin with heat. I've used the same pair for three years.

Steve S
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

For the most part its Tillman 750 or Black Stallion 750 for me. I have a few dozen of the Black Stallion ultra tig left that i like but think they may not be made anymore.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.