Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have never been a big fan of torch mounted argon valves. I had some stainless steel plate, a stainless hinge and a small pneumatic valve laying around. I cobbled this foot operated valve together in about 1/2 hour. I needed to buy a few small brass fittings to hook it up. The other thing that is nice about this is since I eliminated the valve on the torch and was able to to use a standard #17 torch I was able to move the pendent switch up underneath the backcap instead of having it side mounted. I prefer it up underneath the backcap so I can control it with my index finger.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

rahtreelimbs,
That is interesting. I assume you only do bench work as this would seem cumbersome for field work. You might want to get the patent started before someone steals your idea :) Very nice though.
-Jonathan
rahtreelimbs

Superiorwelding wrote:rahtreelimbs,
That is interesting. I assume you only do bench work as this would seem cumbersome for field work. You might want to get the patent started before someone steals your idea :) Very nice though.
-Jonathan
Jonathan.........I have a 15'x25' detached garage that I am working on getting a small fab business started out of. I have TIG welded standing up and sitting at a bench. I have several (probably too many) TIG welders so going with the conventional welder/foot pedal is never a problem. I like making my own accessories/tools..........give me some welding time also!

I really dislike a valve on the torch body!!!

rahtreelimbs wrote:
-Jonathan
Jonathan.........I have a 15'x25' detached garage that I am working on getting a small fab business started out of. I have TIG welded standing up and sitting at a bench. I have several (probably too many) TIG welders so going with the conventional welder/foot pedal is never a problem. I like making my own accessories/tools..........give me some welding time also!

First good luck with the fab business! I will offer any help I can. I can't fault anyone for wanting to make their own tools, I do it myself. I think this would be very handy and more efficient as opposed to the valve on torch body.
-Jonathan
rahtreelimbs

Superiorwelding wrote:
rahtreelimbs wrote:
-Jonathan

First good luck with the fab business! I will offer any help I can. I can't fault anyone for wanting to make their own tools, I do it myself. I think this would be very handy and more efficient as opposed to the valve on torch body.
-Jonathan

I will add that this TIG machine will only be used with a torch mounted amp switch!!!

I would be interested to see a few pictures of your application, if you can. Are you using a on/off switch?
-Jonathan
rahtreelimbs

Superiorwelding wrote:I would be interested to see a few pictures of your application, if you can. Are you using a on/off switch?
-Jonathan
I am using a Pendent switch. In this pic it is mounted on the side of the torch. This was one reason for creating the foot operated valve. The switch won't fit under the backcap with the valve knob.

Legion
    Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

That's a nice amp switch. Who makes it/where did you get it? No problems with heat?
rahtreelimbs

Legion wrote:That's a nice amp switch. Who makes it/where did you get it? No problems with heat?
McMaster-Carr

Part # 6944K11 ...........Letter "c".......about 1/2 down the page.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pendant-switches/=r4j5o4
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You could get a foot pedal to use also.
Then you would be using all four limbs.

~John :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Mainly for what i do this wouldn't be practical but i do see a place for it for sure. I may have to build one for that just in case deal. Otto posted a comment on another thread about a jaw driven amperage control, may be able to do the same for a gas valve.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.