Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
KEJ76
    Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:42 am

Hello all, I was wanting to know what kind of reviews the Everlast PowerPro 256s had. I'm thinking about purchasing one! Input please!
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

A good place to start is here, http://welding-tv.com/?s=Everlast+PowerPro+256 Jody has six videos he's done using one.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

KEJ76

Thanks Bob. I'm amazed at the multi purpose functions this machine provides for the cost. I think this will be a good investment for my around the house and shop work.
KEJ76

Would any water cooler work for this machine?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Yes, with the right fittings, unless your talking about the water cooler in the office. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Braehill wrote:Yes, with the right fittings, unless your talking about the water cooler in the office. :)

Len
I'm sure you could even get that to work for a short time lol
Nick
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Braehill wrote:... unless your talking about the water cooler in the office. :)

Len
Some of those have the right fittings too. ;)
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I've heard rumors that plasma and tig don't go together....
Just a thought for you...
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I bought the PP205 version, so that I wouldn't have to rewire the 30 amp service in my garage.
KEJ76 wrote:Hello all, I was wanting to know what kind of reviews the Everlast PowerPro 256s had. I'm thinking about purchasing one! Input please!
smaliden2
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

I just bought an everlast power pro 205s about a month ago and here is a link to a post below.
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=4687
I cant speak as to how well these machines will hold up or how well tech support is,(havent had any issues yet) but it has a very smooth and easy to control arc. I love this machine and hope it holds up for years to come. As far as tig and plasma together no problems as of yet it has a 200 amp tig, 160 amp stick, and a 50 amp plasma cutter that cuts through 1/4'' like butter really fast.
thanks, Scott
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

From whet I've read, the main problem with TIG/Plasma multiprocess machines comes from the air supply for plasma. If your air supply is "dirty", meaning moisture and/or compressor oil, it can contaminate the parts that are common to both processes, and give problems when returning to TIG.

Having an oil-less compressor and good water separator, or a good oil/water separator with a good follow-up filter, to use with the plasma function will minimize the risk of an issue. Alternatively, compressed nitrogen is relatively inexpensive if you use the plasma rarely and have a bottle or two, and works great on stainless and aluminum, and okay on carbon steels with a little hold-back to carry atmosphere with the plasma (carbon steel seems to cut better with some oxygen in the stream).

Disclaimer: I've not used any of these multi-process machines, I'm just summarizing what I've inferred from reading others' experiences. Your mileage may vary.

Steve S

Well,
On WW I've heard say that Plasma high freak, and Tig high freak, oppose and destroy each other....
That why boards and stuff go out on those mp machines....
Also that's why the "Big Three" don't have those style of machines....\

ps. read my signature...

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can't argue that, since I've not experienced any of it. Thus my disclaimer in the post.

I would have speculated the big three haven't done it because they'd rather sell you more than one machine... :lol:

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I can't argue that, since I've not experienced any of it. Thus my disclaimer in the post.

I would have speculated the big three haven't done it because they'd rather sell you more than one machine... :lol:

Steve S
Your probably right, but I'm just repeating what I've heard, thus my signature.... ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
KEJ76

Thanjs everyone for the input. Its greatly appreciated. Since my post, I've watched Jody's videos discussing the 256. And I've read some reviews on the machine. Other than a few minor hiccups, most everyone likes it and hasn't had a problem. I think for the type of shop work I'll be doing, it should serve the purpose I need it for, plus you can't beat the price. I'll keep you guys updated and give my two cents on how I like or dislike the machine. Thanks y'all. KJ

Yes,
I'd like to here another good through review on it, exspecaly stick...
Good luck,
And keep your receipt! ;)

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

I remember reading some post somewhere that someone released that magic smoke on one of these mp machines cause he had the tig torch on with it set to plasma or the other way around. May have been a longevity machine but it's somethin to keep in mind.
Nick
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

KEJ76 wrote:Hello all, I was wanting to know what kind of reviews the Everlast PowerPro 256s had. I'm thinking about purchasing one! Input please!
I just got an Everlast SuperUltra 205 and I love the thing. It's a great little machine. I had a problem with the machine so I had to deal with tech support and they were quick and fixed the problem over the phone. I will say this much, for the price I love this thing but I originally wanted the PP256s but couldn't swing it. The extra functions of the PP256s are well worth the price difference. The only complaint I have is that the flow meter that comes with the machines are crap. I had to take mine completely apart and put it back together with thread seal tape and I still have a gas leak on the inside of the machine somewhere. I also wish the they had two separate hook ups for the compressed air and argon because it seems to loosen up the fittings on the solenoid hooking up and unhooking the air and argon. If you are planning on doing a lot of tig and a little plasma, this is great. I do a lot of both. I plasma cut a lot of sheet metal and then tig weld it so I just cut out everything I need to cut then switch it over. It saves a lot of time switching stuff out.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
KEJ76

Hey Matt. Thanks for the review input and the quirk about the air/argon hook up. I'm wondering if there might be a modification that can be done to seperate the two? May be something to look into. I also liked your website and what you make with hoeseshoes! That's cool. Wish you guys the best with that! KJ

Thanks for checking us out. We actually got this machine to start our metal art work and we played with the tig on the horseshoes and it has done great on items like our hat rack where the welds will be out for everyone to see at the base of the hook.
I will give you this warning about the machine, DO NOT START TIG WELDING OR PLASMA IMMEDIATELY AFTER SWITCHING! Turn your post flow up to about 10 seconds and hit the pedal just to bleed the line. I learned that the first time I switched from plasma to tig. If you don't bleed the air out it will not weld right. I found 10 seconds to be plenty to get the air out and fill the lines with argon. Same with plasma if you hit the button and let off it will continue blowing air and you need to get the argon out of the line or the plasma won't work right.
Matt

AFSATCOM wrote:I remember reading some post somewhere that someone released that magic smoke on one of these mp machines cause he had the tig torch on with it set to plasma or the other way around. May have been a longevity machine but it's somethin to keep in mind.
I saw on the Everlast Forum that someone blew their plasma torch up because they hooked their plasma torch up and forgot to flip the switch from tig to plasma and the thing exploded. I always leave the switch alone until I get the cables unhooked and it is down to just the ground plugged in, and machine off of course, then I flip it to the next function and then hook it up.
Matt
KEJ76

Hey Matt, yeah I saw the same review about not flipping the switch prior to using a different function. That would suck!! Andi read about post flowing between uses on the Tig and plasma. Hopefully with enough input to Everlast, they can elevate these quirks when they update their machines when they produce new machines! Thanks again for the input. KJ

Like I said, I like the machine and have a blast running it but there are a few quirks that I have learned to work around. Maybe Everlast will fix them. I guarantee that if they fix those quirks I will own more of them in the future, that is if they last long. I don't know anything about their longevity so hopefully it last for a while. I just know that we paid for the welder 3 times over in the first week of owning it so it has earned its keep and if it broke tomorrow it has already paid for itself.
Matt
KEJ76

That's good to know brother! I certainly appreciate the info. Good luck with the horseshoes! Looks like you guys got a good thing going. I'll keep you up to speed with my machine when I get it.