Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

I have bought a new machine after my old esseti 200 ac dc i had for 5 years .My new machine is Fronius magic wave 2200 . It is very complecated to use it took many hours of reading to get familiar with the menu and settings ( manual is 175 pages ). Everything is adjustable digital display.
So i thought to welcome everybody to share his thoughts hoping that both will do better ...To get an idea of this machine have little look to quick reference quide i enclose as an attachment .Maybe it is a big picture but better . Imagine this to the eyes of a complete beginer !.
Salutes to everybody

Mic fronius ( ex ... Esseti case ) .
Attachments
quick reference1.jpg
quick reference1.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 11630 times
BDoubleU

Congrats on the new machine. I agree with your comments - very nice unit with good TIG controls, but complicated and somewhat difficult to understand. I found it necessary to keep the manual close by to make setup and even some basic parameter changes. I also studied the manual to understand exactly what & how to program the unit. My system required using the Fronius supplied torch control to toggle through the menu & our foot control was extra, not included in the package. After setup, the unit performed very well - it has a good arc starter with a smooth output.
weldfusion.com
ESENTI

Thank you , very nice to reply , yes i do appreciate every day that it is a good machine and im happy about it .If it is about settings still i jhave only a little idea and i need further learning . For the time being i know only the basics I do not use original tig torch i modify torch to use standard tig torch and i do not use foot control ( machine is close so i do it manualy ) .Im pleased with my machine and impresed form its performance once i did a very good choice to buy it...
Esenti
vjeko
    Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 am

Hi guys,
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you :) - I also have the Magicwave 2200.
Just saw your posts as I was searching the web.
Well, had it for a couple of years already, but as welding is not my
main job, I haven't used it very much.

I agree, the machine has a lot packed into it and the instructions
are therefore quite detailed - I know, I return to the instructions
quite often especially as I leave the machine for some weeks or more
and then forget how some things work :) If I can be of any
help, don't hesitate to ask.

I was actually trying to find some info about when the respective 4T
modes are used - popped the question on weldingweb also.
Maybe you could enlighten me ?
I'm asking this before trying the modes out to see in what situations
an experienced welder would be using them - to see how it would fit
me (to jump a few steps without spending to much time trying it out :) )

A couple more questions:
(a)Can you give a bit more info on how you used a standard torch - what parts/mods
did you make (especially interested in what type of control is on the torch -
thumbwheel/ push/pull etc) ?
(b)Have you guys bought or made a foot pedal for the machine ?
vjeko

One thing I forgot to add in case it is not obvious - I guess
it is a matter of how you perceive the information:
in order to grasp the complexity of the machine, it is good to
think of the functions hierarchically / in levels:
eg top level, just think about job or setting mode
and how to play with this (new job/modification/deletion etc).
next level, you think about a specific job - TIG/stick and polarity.
and last level - settings for the job - there's one or two levels
of settings - after a bit of practice, you get to know the
abbreviations and have a feel for their values.
ESENTI

The the guy i bought it had a bit of the rear end of a fronius tig torch, which i shorten it and i put a threaded outside output for the gas and an adapter for torch . (i blocked the inside) . It is not difficult but not easy too. I then joined with silver brazing.
I do not use storage memery yet i only use manual adjustments i have this machine for 3 months and im the process of testing and learning ...
If i can help i will be happy to do so ...

Eseti ...
Attachments
modification.JPG
modification.JPG (51.36 KiB) Viewed 11317 times
vjeko

Esenti, the problem on my side is a bit different to yours - I have a reasonable
understanding of the settings and programming of the machine but I can't weld yet :)
(what I'm playing around with now you can't call welding :) - but I won't give up )
What sort of trigger do you have on the new torch and is the torch lighter than the
fronius one (I seem to be fighting with mine - would like to have something
lighter - if it exists :) ). Any comment about the 4T modes ?
ESENTI

for me welding is fine art no matter that i do not have all the equipment i wanted . So i weld well and i try for better . The parweld torch is for me the best there is . It is light and it has a ball at the end of the handle so it is easier to work also is flexible so you can adjust the angle you like . Fronius is hard and not with flexible nose and expensive . The moment i
have known parweld it do not want something else, i advice you to do the same is excellent if you have a problem to find one i could help ...for the 4t mode it is for rather long welding seams , so it worths it if it is for short is confusing and not aplicable for me...

Esenti
Attachments
parweld tig torch.jpg
parweld tig torch.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 11283 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That is a nice looking torch.

How is it for durability? I ask because the main weakness I've found with water-cooled flex-head torches is that they never get hot enough to anneal the "flex" part, tend to work harden from flexing, and eventually fail. Air-cooled flex-head torches last much longer for me, as I don't even try to flex them until they're hot.

I'm looking for a water-cooled flex-head that doesn't work-harden, and I even have a design in mind if I can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Steve S
ESENTI

Perfection is not existed as far as i know through the years , i have an air cooled torch and im very pleased with it, a friend is using the water cooled torch and he is pleased too . This is a new torch with bigger button of tirggering as far for for flexibility it must be good but it is only for limited use and not for all the time , usually pipes are made of copper that as you know it works stiffen, also in mine the rubber in the side it is little poping out but it is a detail since it is a very good toch since i know no better http://www.parweld.co.uk please have a look in a better picture under the torch range ...
In general it is a vey good torch and this is new that im waitng for delivery in few weeks if there was a better one i would have choosen it ...
Definatelly the temperature increases the flexibility of copper and any metal so by heating up the torch is goint to be better to bent the pipes ...

Esenti
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks. I'll have a closer look.

Steve S
vjeko

Esenti, I guess you are using 2T and the only variable is how quick you move
as you can't vary the current then. Good to know about the torch - will keep
it in mind when the money situation is better :)

Would like to hear from other owners - whether you're using 4T/which modes
and why - I've got no welding schooling, so I'm learning by logic/trial & error
and best of all from experienced welder advice :)
ESENTI

Dear Vjeko we all learn by practice but it makes the road shorter if you read a bit more and ask arround when all these ripe you can taste the fruits of succes or failure . I had a go today and i did some practice.Seems that the humble tungsten nose has a lot to tell . Here is the recipy , clean well sharpened conical nose of 2.4mm thichness 4.5 mm out of the ceramic of 11mm diammeter , +1 cleaning , 100 amperes 110 frequency 0,6 Hz pulse 6 lpm (12.66 cfh).It works like a poem smooth and nice with 1.5mm thickness of rod is good for details, 3.2 for regular welding with 4 rod is bit much it has to do with the degree of metal deposit to base metal . The torch gets hot and also beware of the temperature of the base metal it can be warm but not hot look at the wrinkles formed must not look like boiling .( keep close distance arc ) ...
Esenti...
emlclcy
    Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 pm

i have one of these.
looking through the manual you can change the waveform from sawtooth to square etc BUT have it different on the poss to neg half of the wave.
that's deep!.....
ESENTI

I have it both at factory settings 100% rectangular but it is worth a try to you fifferent setting to each e.g. use positive 100 %rectungular for cleaning and negative sinusoidal for smoother melting of probe but i have not tried yet ..
welcome to our site ...
Esenti....
ESENTI

This is a sample ,drill of my work while testing my machine and puriy of gas to previously mentined posting of mine . I think i can do better if i get little more practice ...It important to mention that the metal sheet tends to overhet so i put a thick piece of aluminum on top to help it cool .

Esenti
Attachments
DRILL.jpg
DRILL.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
azhidehak
    Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 pm

good machine
could you weld cellulosic electrodes with this machine?
ESENTI

Dear azhidehak,
Seems that all machines weld cellulosic electrodes , why they should not , there is no restriction only electrodes with high percent of chrome like 312 type could have a problem since these have high resistance and then you increase amperage (amperage is increased when you increase voltage inside the machine ). Fronius as far as i know is the only machine that is so well design that all parameters are adjustable.
Like the load of electrode and resistanse of ground of base metal and other variables like inductance that i have not used since i only use Tig . If you are more interested,
in fronius web page you can find the manual to see more details ...

Esenti
the difference between success and failure is a tiny detail some times not easily noticed ( Great Napoleon )
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Some machines have trouble running 6010. Specifically small inverters. This is due to a low ocv. The Miller maxstar 150 is a good example. Miller will tell you it won't run 6010. It will run 6011 just fine though. My machine has a setting for running cellulosic rods for this reason. If I try running 6010 without it, it runs horrible.
Nick
ESENTI

Well done Nik im impressed i got a little rusty as you say since i use only tig in my applications.In my opinion the king of welding is
tig then mig mag, electrodes seem an old story nowadays. Never the less the Fronius has done a lot in advancing weld technology so why it could not consider the details in electrodes ...I have not see so many adjustment in a machine the manual
is 175 pages. Everything is adjustable . To give you an example when i use extra cleaning in aluminum AC ( Tig )and the tungsten electrode diameter is calculated and compared with amperage then a warning lights on screen that machine is over loaded.
To avoid to burn the tungsten. ( in this case you must lower the amperage or the cleaning action of positive wave).
By the way do you know a good way to separate Green Tugsten from Red since i have some tungstens mixed...
Esenti ...
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Im pretty sure fronius magicwave models 2200 and bigger can run cellulose rods, even in vertical down.
the 1700 I dont think can burn them as good.
Dancing with the blue lady
ESENTI

Hi , im not into rod welding but i found this bit so i enclose is since it might make my friends feel better i remind again
that i have not tried myself yet ...
Look in the botton lines where it is marked with a circle please ...
esenti
Attachments
friends.JPG
friends.JPG (92.01 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
ESENTI

since it might need to have a look to dyn i enclose it too

Esenti ...
Attachments
friends2.JPG
friends2.JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
monte0919
    Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Manual or parameters MagicWave fronius 2200 Hi friends, I need to weld aluminum plates 2 and 3 mm
ESENTI

Dear Mode ,

Cleaning at +5 frequency low like 70 Hz , 70amperes .