Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I was in the midst of seriously over thought project building a tungsten sharpening jig for my grinder when I decided to test out the idea with just the basics.

I took a piece of 1/2 Al and drilled a 7/64 hole in it for 3/32 tungstens. I then shoved a 3/32 tungsent into a pin vise and then through the hole in the block.

Imagine my suprise when I found that was all I needed. Just grab the block to adjust the angle and pressure and spin the tungsten with the pin vise. I did a box of 10 in less than 5 minutes so,,, I did another box.. and another and another... LOL.. It works so simple it's just friggin amazing

You change the grind angle by sliding the tungsten in or out of the block. I've got it way to long in this pic, just use this to get an idea of what I did.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
tigmaster
    Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:24 pm

i tig weld in the field all day, we just use a bench grinder and a cordless drill....bye the way can u tell me how to post pics i tried earlier butdont know if it worked
sschefer

I use photobucket to store my pics and then just post a link to that on the board.

Try the block trick. Its small enough to stick in your pocket. You don't need the pin vise but it makes it easier. The aluminum pulls the heat off and the tungsten won't burn your fingers unless you grab the tip.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

don't mean much but my welding instructor told me that some pretty tasty radiation is given off when sharpening these things. just wondering if tht's true or not?
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

BurninRod wrote:don't mean much but my welding instructor told me that some pretty tasty radiation is given off when sharpening these things. just wondering if tht's true or not?
Only when using Thoriated (Red) Tungsten. Just don't breath the dust while grinding them. Tri Mix and Lanthanated seem to work better for me on my Inverter machine anyway.
Click this link for some warnings on Thoriated Tungsten.
http://www.diamondground.com/warning.html
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
sschefer

BurninRod wrote:don't mean much but my welding instructor told me that some pretty tasty radiation is given off when sharpening these things. just wondering if tht's true or not?
Thoriated possibly, Lanthanated or other rare earths, no. If it freaks you out, then your only recourse it to buy pre-sharpened tungstens. It's the grinding dust from Thoriated that is supposed to be the problem. I've yet to see one with a RadHaz label on it so I don't put much stock in it. I use Lanthanated almost exclusively now anyway.
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

sschefer wrote: then your only recourse it to buy pre-sharpened tungstens.
I don't understand the buying pre-ground tungsten hype. Use it until it needs to be resharpened and then toss it? Just doesn't make since to me. If your going to have to re-sharpen later, why not just do it the first time as well?
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
sschefer

Rugar wrote:
sschefer wrote: then your only recourse it to buy pre-sharpened tungstens.
I don't understand the buying pre-ground tungsten hype. Use it until it needs to be resharpened and then toss it? Just doesn't make since to me. If your going to have to re-sharpen later, why not just do it the first time as well?

Makes sense in a high volume shop with a lot of turn around. Stopping to grind a tungsten is $$ wasted and the number of apprentices that need to learn is dwindling as businesses are finding out that they can, in fact, do more with less. Employees aren't complaining as much and are working harder in general just to keep their jobs.

For those of us that aren't jambed up with work and with work waiting it makes no sense at all. The little 1x1 aluminum block and a particle mask makes all the sense in the world to us.

Personnally, I'm OCD and getting as close to perfect as I can with as little effort as possible is important to me.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

thorium IS radioactive. there shouldn't be a question about that. thorium IS NOT radioactive enough to harm you externally, especially in the small percentage present in welding tungstens. The as yet unproven question is whether the fine particulate dust can settle in your lungs and increase the chance of lung cancer. I'd bet my life no, personally, but breathing metal dust isn't a great idea anyway. if you're sharpening 10 at a time, do yourself a favor and grab a dust mask, but you're a big ninny if you stop using thoriated tungsten because it's radioactive.