Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
freeagle66
    Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 am

New to Aluminun Tig welding, after practicing for about a week on pieces of aluminum, I started my project, welding 2" x 1/8" wall tube onto 1/4"x 2" flat stock, was using 3/32" pure tungsten electrode, with balled tip,I turned my amp to max 150 on machine, I was not getting the results it thought I should be getting, so I tried a 1/8"pure tungsten electrode, balled the tip, then it seem to work better. So I guess my question is should I stick with the 3/32" or is it ok to use the 1/8" on this machine, or am I exceeding the limits of this machine trying to weld 1/4"?
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site freeagle. I'm moving your post over to the Tig forum where you'll get more views and replies.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I had that same machine for about a week. ;)

For the 175amps it puts out, 3/32 is all you'll need....

That machine is very limited to aluminum.....
You'll be pushing it to puddle that 1/4.

I hooked up helium to mine, 5cfh of helium, and 15cfh of argon.

I was trying to weld 3/4 to 1/4.... air cooled 9 on it. :o :?

Bull.

That machine is very limited....

You can weld 1/4, it will be slow, and I'm sure you don't have the resources to add helium.

Unless you can get your LWS to get you a smaller bottle of 75/25 argon/helium

Get a pic of your attempted bead up, for inspection.

If 1/8 tungsten works better, use it....

Best,
~John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
freeagle66

DSCN0132[1].JPG
DSCN0132[1].JPG (128.73 KiB) Viewed 965 times
DSCN0134[1].JPG
DSCN0134[1].JPG (130.85 KiB) Viewed 965 times
This was my first project with my Lincoln Tig 175, I added one foot to the height of the Top, for more head room.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Freeagle,
You can't hurt a thing using a bigger electrode than needed. That said I think that 3/32 pure should handle 150 amps with no problem but if it welds better with 1/8 then by all means leave it in.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

This is my machine.

Here is a picture or 3" 1/4 wall welded to 3" 1/4 flat bar.

I had no trouble at all with heat, I do run 85% argon and 15% helium all the time. I have a small machine shop and never know what projects I will do, so having the ability to weld thicker Alum. is always good. I have welded 1/2" alum with this set up (preheat was key). My tungsten was 3/32 thor. because that was what was in the torch when I did this test for you.
freeagle66

Ya I have the same machine, bought it 2 weeks ago, I like it so far, I went back to the 3/32 tungsten, and had no problem with it, guess I just needed some more practice, LOL, I am just running the Argon.
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Let's see a pic of the welds!