Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think that was a mis-placed post, possibly meant for Aleksi'a topic.

Steve S
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

It's from tapatalk, it's confusing , I apologize , but they change stuff all the time on this app. I was trying to post to Otto nobedder, about the -423 liquid nitrogen vessel he was fixing. (Post #50) It was a old post, but some how my setting got changed and it went to the oldest post instead of the newest. Sorry guys!

Somewhere between the app and putting the rats to bed I got distracted! Still haven't figured out how I did it!

No sweat.

But -423F means it was a liquid hydrogen vessel. Nitrogen is -320F...

:?

Steve S

Wiredwelder wrote:Is the vessel subject to shrinkage with the extreme temperature differences ....seems to me that much temperature difference from the ambient temperature, even a small leak could cause a hot spot, and build on itself till it ruptured?

Just thinking. :)
That's why I pursue leaks as small as the nanoliter range-- Any flaw that causes a leak, regardless how small, can grow.

The vessel, whether hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, or argon, stays at one temperature for 5 years (barring trouble), until ASME retest.

Steve S

I'm no engineer...was just thinking about it, a lot of what I read on hear helps me to figure out things. Like that post you made when you were welding stainless the other day that said mash the pedal, fill the rod, and go. (In the mig like tig thread) Classic! You know what they say ....pay attention, you might learn something!

I pay attention every time I'm here.

There's always something to learn. I've been doing this about 30 years, and this forum constanly reminds me how much I don't know...

Steve S
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Now welding Aluminium tank what is been modify.. Welds are made ESAB MIG 3000 Aristo and ESAB wires... I have started to like weld Aluminum at overhead and vertical more then steel.. I was suprised how well it goes when ewerything is correct.. Tank has new bottom vessel and one more section then before..
Attachments
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG (103.24 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Last edited by Aleksi86 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Aleksi86,
Your fab work and welds are really good! So you like the ESAB machines? I have a friend who likes them and their wires a lot. I have only ran their mig machines with solid wire in them, but it did run good.
Question- do you whip with the aluminum mig? looks like it is whipped or pulsed. Not asking because it is right/wrong just curious as to how you are doing it. On my Lincoln 350MP's it has the Pulse on Pulse feature that gives you that nice look and was just wondering if these ESAB's have something similar. Keep up the great work.
-Jonathan
Aleksi86

THanks a lot man ;) Here we weld allmost allways ESAB,KEMPPI, Both good machines.. I weld litle bit aluminium at my previous job whit LINCOLN 300 or 350 Aluminium if i recall right?? Its a pulsed machine ESAB, but thoos riples are made By weawing some eeees) If you have douple pulse its good feature to have..But other important thing is gun Angel and that your contact tip is not too out at gas nozzel, (i keep more at inside at AL) so it wont get too hot. (so you dont keep too long stickout because your tips gets too hot and lose Argon coverage) Thoose welds are deasent looking :| but the main thing my work is that it will hold pressure/liquids inside with out leaking.. I just wanted to ensure that it would pass test By weawing litle at sides to prevent any porosity or something? And im only a beginner at welding Aluminum ( just a short time welded AL) But its a nice material when you know how to work whit it :D THERES A NEW TANK TOMORROW..

"TANKS" for the undate...

:lol:

Looks great!

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:"TANKS" for the undate...

:lol:

Looks great!

Steve S
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I've not welded it yet, but found THIS today, in a vessel head.
GEDC1225.JPG
GEDC1225.JPG (169.35 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
GEDC1229.JPG
GEDC1229.JPG (160.36 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Waiting on information from engineering. There's a cause for this, and a fix that must be applied before I repair it.

Steve S
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I've not welded it yet, but found THIS today, in a vessel head.
GEDC1225.JPG
GEDC1229.JPG
Waiting on information from engineering. There's a cause for this, and a fix that must be applied before I repair it.

Steve S
I have to tell you I'm getting a little jealous. Your job looks and sounds like fun.. keeps the wheels turning in your head. well maybe just in mine :lol: There are times when I feel like a bit of a robot at work, one of the reasons I like coming on here just to read what everyone else is up too. And a big thanks from a new guy for helping keep it like that!

Steve,
Is that crack from pressure or a stress crack from movement?
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Steve,
Is that crack from pressure or a stress crack from movement?
-Jonathan
The information I've gathered so far, says this is the result of a design flaw. The inner tank's front support is on the outside of this crack, and only a small part of the designed support is in contact. This is stress cracking, from too narrow a load area supporting the vessel during transport (this is, as usual for my work, a semi-trailer).

This project is on hold, pending drawings for the fix to the original problem. I've also been advised to expect a similar crack on the opposite side, about the same distance from center, for the same reason. If one is present, it's not leaking yet, but I'll have to investigate anyway.

Once we perform the fix of the root cause, I can then make the repair(s) at the crack(s).

Steve S

jimbob wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I've not welded it yet, but found THIS today, in a vessel head.
GEDC1225.JPG
GEDC1229.JPG

Steve S
I have to tell you I'm getting a little jealous. Your job looks and sounds like fun.. keeps the wheels turning in your head. well maybe just in mine :lol: There are times when I feel like a bit of a robot at work, one of the reasons I like coming on here just to read what everyone else is up too. And a big thanks from a new guy for helping keep it like that!
That is exactly why I like this job. My brain is engaged at least as much as my hands. It occasionally gets tedious, but rarely gets boring. Also, the experience and instinct I've developed has my boss' respect, so I usually get to proceed in the manner I prefer, rather than following directions.

And, yes, it IS fun.

Steve S
Aleksi86

We have allso cracks to repair 2-5 times a week if trailer is run up something? Or sterss crack is appear somewhere inside.. I have repaired only couple but can say that ITS NOT EASY JOB TO DONE MOST TIMES... When you have round surface under your feat and wobbly stand on boards.. And hole/crack is at top in sealing..Then you need to be JEDI or realy consenrate what you are welding and to be steady hand..And there is all kind of contaminy inside that crack.. But feels good when your boss understands that it was no easy weld/repair to do. And shows hes
appreciation for you to have job done.
scottwelder1371
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Stainless air vent for custom skylight on the Timex HQ.
Attachments
IMAG0301.jpg
IMAG0301.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
1396391946145.jpg
1396391946145.jpg (41.64 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
IMAG0296.jpg
IMAG0296.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
SBblacksmith
    Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:51 pm

This is a front door that I made a little while back. Stainless steel frame with silicon bronze panels welded to the frame.

Finally got the picture upright.
Attachments
Finished door. Ss and bronze
Finished door. Ss and bronze
image.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Welding up a ss frame for a front door
Welding up a ss frame for a front door
image.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
Last edited by SBblacksmith on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Famous last words, "Hey guys, watch this!"

Www.SBForge.com

Sweet!

I'll admit to a brief "WTF?" moment, until I realized the image was on it's side...

Nice work!

Steve S
SBblacksmith

Yeah, I don't know why it loaded that way. It was really the first project where I had to force myself to get comfortable in out of position and overhead tig welding. I have Jody's videos to thank for that.

Www.SBForge.com
SBblacksmith

One last post before I go to bed. These pics are a few months old but I am proud of them. One is a really nice ss hand rail we did in a house the other was a personal project I did to test my tig skills welding .030 ss to .030 bronze
Attachments
Ss and bronze tacked together.
Ss and bronze tacked together.
image.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Book cover ss and bronze
Book cover ss and bronze
image.jpg (62.26 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
Ss hand rail tig welded in place in the finished house
Ss hand rail tig welded in place in the finished house
image.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

Www.SBForge.com