Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
brian55290
    Sat May 24, 2014 6:34 pm

new at tig welding. I have a ex 250 and the tungsten just balls up no matter what setting I put it on. im new to tig welding but if I turn the heat up it will just melt the tungsten. not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

First check your polarity. Tig torch has to be on the Neg terminal, ground clamp on the positive one. Next make sure you are on DC, not AC. Wrong polarity or on AC will cause balling of the tungsten. If you tell us the settings on your machine it would make diagnosing things easier for everyone.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

brian55290 wrote:new at tig welding. I have a ex 250 and the tungsten just balls up no matter what setting I put it on. im new to tig welding but if I turn the heat up it will just melt the tungsten. not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Another cause could be the type of tungsten you are using. What type do you have in the torch?
-Jonathan
brian55290

Superiorwelding wrote:
brian55290 wrote:new at tig welding. I have a ex 250 and the tungsten just balls up no matter what setting I put it on. im new to tig welding but if I turn the heat up it will just melt the tungsten. not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Another cause could be the type of tungsten you are using. What type do you have in the torch?
-Jonathan
I'm using 2% tungsten.
Thanks
brian55290

Oscar wrote:First check your polarity. Tig torch has to be on the Neg terminal, ground clamp on the positive one. Next make sure you are on DC, not AC. Wrong polarity or on AC will cause balling of the tungsten. If you tell us the settings on your machine it would make diagnosing things easier for everyone.
I have the torch on the pos and the ground on neg. ill switch them and see how I do.
Thanks for your help.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

brian55290 wrote:I have the torch on the pos and the ground on neg. ill switch them and see how I do.
There you go. The heat flows toward the positive, so the tungsten was being heated far more than your metal.
This is also the reason higher power is needed to weld aluminum (which requires AC).
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I wish I would have seen this earlier or I could have steered you in that direction up front! As Oscar wrote, the torch and the ground have to be hooked up correctly. The SyncroWave's and the PrecisionTig welders have a switch/dial that you turn
to switch polarity rather than switch leads over. The inverter welders, due to their size and packaging constraints do away
with the switch by having the user change polarity manually. You'll be happy with your PowerTig250ex once you try it again!
Chromoly is one of my favorites to weld (mainly: because racecar) next to aluminum.

Have fun, and happy welding!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

GreinTime wrote: (mainly: because racecar)
:lol:

I have a bunch of chromoly scraps I need to practice on. All tubing of course. Because racecar. :D

Does anybody here purge chromoly tubing when tig'ing it? I know one guy who did but he has no pictures and has since let go of the parts he made. I'd like to see the difference in the backside of the weld to see if the integrity of bead can be improved somehow.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Oscar,
Purging any type of tubing will help the weld. Anytime you can keep the atmosphere off the molten metal the better the weld will be. Almost all the gases in the air in their natural quantities are detrimental not to mention impurities in the base metal that gas off at welding temps.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

I backpurge all of my steel tubing. Helps me sleep better at night.