Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chubbysautocenter
    Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 pm

01ab683ea506fb6bd7dc3d81dc1cced8717e65b47b.jpg
01ab683ea506fb6bd7dc3d81dc1cced8717e65b47b.jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 540 times
this is tig welded in ac on mild steel. the bead looks very bad. is this the best it gets?
I HATE BEING BI POLAR ITS GREAT
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nope. I've seen them almost indistiguishable from a weld.

Patience, practice, CLEAN X 3, and more patience.

I can't advise you on the "how", though. Brazing is one place I'm still an oxy-fuel/flux fan, but my stuff does not have to look good, only meet liquid oxygen service requirements under pressure. I frequently repair joints that were previously TIG-brazed, because they don't hold up to the thermal cycles.

Steve S
chubbysautocenter

Otto Nobedder wrote:Nope. I've seen them almost indistiguishable from a weld.

Patience, practice, CLEAN X 3, and more patience.

I can't advise you on the "how", though. Brazing is one place I'm still an oxy-fuel/flux fan, but my stuff does not have to look good, only meet liquid oxygen service requirements under pressure. I frequently repair joints that were previously TIG-brazed, because they don't hold up to the thermal cycles.

Steve S
I finally posted a pic. but I keep referring back to the lamp post video. I just don't see how my bead looks that bad. when I go back to dc and use silicon bronze it perfect. this ac deal and aluminum bronze thing just kills me.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

get a piece of scotch brite pad and wipe down the filler real good, then wipe it down with acetone. You'll be suprised how much crud comes off it. ;)
Last edited by Oscar on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chubbysautocenter

Oscar wrote:get a piece of scotch brite pad and wipe down the filler real good, then wipe it down with acetone. You'll be suprised how much crud comes of it. ;)
scotch pad.. ok thanks :D