Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I am getting ready to take a test with 2 inch pipes .154 thickness in the 6g position, can someone help me & tell me how much heat should I use because I'm not used to welding copper nickel pipe with tig, thanks in advance
coldman
  • coldman

You say copper nickel 2"x .154 wall. Does this mean you intend to braze weld it as in a square butt or silver solder a capillary joint. What filler are you using? More info please.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've never done it, damnit, but I'll clarify for others before confusion starts...

Cu-Ni (copper-nickel) can probably be brazed, but is most commonly welded.

I've been told the settings are similar to stainless of the same sizes, and to expect a "dead" puddle, that does not wet out readily, requiring more torch manipulation while feeding rod.

I think there is Cu-Ni experience here, so be patient. Maybe the guru will comment, as well.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Does'nt help much but assuming this is similar to the alloy widely used in the UK called " Kunifer " I've done plenty in sizes from 1/8" up to 4" ( very common in heat exchangers & low volume boilers ) - but it's always been silver soldered - I never heard of it being welded - I guess as both base metals weld then the alloy should as well - if I get time I might try a bit - think there's half a length of 4" still on the metal rack if it will clean up - when silver soldering it unless it's really new & spotless it's normal to clean it with " spirit of salts " first.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

In the US, the most adverts I see for Cu-Ni welding are shipyard jobs, and my assumption is it has to do with moving steam around.

Steve S