Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
winston weldall
    Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm

is there one or two places good that anyone can recommend?

i get the feeling my LWS is jerking me around slightly or at the least i want to make sure they aren't by comparing prices with some stuff.

google hasnt been much help in finding small stuff like tig torch assemblies.

thanks

MIKE
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

winston weldall wrote:is there one or two places good that anyone can recommend?

i get the feeling my LWS is jerking me around slightly or at the least i want to make sure they aren't by comparing prices with some stuff.

google hasnt been much help in finding small stuff like tig torch assemblies.

thanks

MIKE
Ebay has been the best for me.
LWS rip you off.
They want $48 for a 200amp tweco stinger...
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Arc zone
Cyberweld
Htp

Check those and go from there. I try to use my local guys as much as I can, and will pay a little more to keep them there, within reason of course.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

There are a few things to keep in mind when one compares a brick and mortar LWS and a online supply. Obviously the local LWS has a higher over head, workers comp, insurance etc, where those online stores have minimal cost in comparison, therefore their prices might be 10-30% higher to cover this difference. The second thing is the local LWS is stocking a variety of merchandise to cover a very broad range of customers and might not move a product for 6 months. Again this adds to their cost with inventory tax and all.
In my opinion, it is not a direct comparison anymore. If one wants the absolute rock bottom price, go to the Internet. If you want to support local and keep jobs local, buy from a brick and mortar LWS. I personally buy 90-95% of all our supplies at my LWS. I am good friends with everyone there and have worked with some of the employees in a past life so I do what I can to help them out.
What I have found funny is some will order online to save $3 and pay for shipping that takes the total higher or equal to what it would have been in they would have bought local. Or my favorite, save $10 on something they will only buy once in their lifetime, why not help the little guy out? Ask your LWS about a better price break if you are purchasing in any volume. We get a VERY good break but we buy a lot.
Now with all that said I firmly believe the days of brick and mortar store are numbered, consider Amazon, but I will do my best to help them until they are gone.
-Jonathan
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

+1 for what Jonathan said.

When I was just getting started, a guy I knew referred me to his favorite LWS. I went in, told him I'd been sent here by so and so (this was before I knew ANYTHING), we got to BSing, and he's cut me a deal ever since.

Every now and then I ask if he can knock a few bucks off of something if it sounds too high, just to let him know I'm paying attention.

You'll always pay a bit more at a brick and mortar, and no matter how nice the guy is, he doesn't have field experience (probably), so that can be a hurdle, but sometimes it's equally irritating (for me at least) to try and hunt down exactly what I want in a sea of scrolling menus to click it into an online shopping cart. Especially when you get into TIG torch parts and small bits like that.

Getting a break on the gas is what keeps me driving over there though. Maintain the relationship, lose a few cents here and there, but you generally get it TODAY, and if you can befriend the guy and get a break on your gas, that'll add up faster than all the little losses.

IMHO
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I agree with supporting the LWS, as long as they are fair... and have deals every now and then. On another point, If we can get a brick and mortar to support us with deals (good pricing and free shipping) we could all benefit by using one dealer...

I think this might be something we can get worked out with the store I bought my used Dynasty 200DX from. Since he is the store manager at a Praxair branch, there are many brands available from one source. He has a great sense of deals and moving volume at a great price vs. over priced. There can also be a chance for "group buy" deals... Just a thought
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

If my LWS would take care of me as a hobbyist, I would support them. But alas they dont. Every time I've asked for one of something, as soon as they see that it just isn't profitable for them because it comes in 10-pks, or in 10-lbs quantities, I always get the "give me your number and I'll see what we can do". Not once have I even gotten a phone call to at least let me down easy, let alone find a way to fulfill my request. Therefore, I turn to:

[url=http://WWW.welding%20city.com]Welding City[/url]: for certain consumables, cheapie torches, tungstens.
HTP America: for high quality torches, consumables, welders, machine accessories, helmets.
Weld Fabulous: high quality tig torches and parts/accessories.
Riverweld: some consumables, cheapie torches, tungstens, tig torch argon/power fittings.

Mike, what kind of torch stuff you looking for specifically?
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

+1 to all the excellent replies here.

Buy filler locally, and buy it in 10# boxes. You'll save in the long run, and it's at least as cheap as you'll find online after you factor in shipping costs. Shop around and find an LWS with good gas pricing - there's a wide range.

Mine knows me by face, probably because I'm the only guy who buys welding supplies in nice office clothes - but it the important thing is they remember me, I try to be efficient with their time, and I can tell by shopping that they cut me some slack. Heck, they even offer to give me free samples of tungstens, flap discs, etc. when I ask about different products.

Also, If you're buying something like a new Lincoln welder that's price-controlled, there's no reason not to buy it locally.

Weldingcity.com - electrodes
Mwsco.com - everything else
(HTP / USAweld.com apparently can be even cheaper than mwsco, but it takes a special request.)
Ebay River-weld - large starter kit for cups, collets, and nozzles

I'll update in a minute with link to another thread on the large kit I built initially for $100.
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=4398

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

These guys aren't bad for an online shopper. http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

I got my Millier Electric Digital Elite from Indiana Oxygen Company (weldingsuppliesfromioc) about 2-1/2 years ago for around $287 (plus free shipping). My local Airgas (South) where I get some consumables at and where I swap out my tanks had Digital Elite's for I wanna say somewhere in the range of $450-500.
winston weldall

Mike, what kind of torch stuff you looking for specifically?
right at the moment i need/want a tig torch assembly that has a gas valve/shut off on the torch.

i just bought a transformer type AC/DC tig/stick machine and needless to say they dont come with a solenoid to shut off gas before or after welding. so, i have to get up an reach over or walk around the machine between every weld attempt to shut off the argon. it drives me crazy to just let it be wasted.

im all about supporting the local guys and up until now thats exactly what ive been doing but this time they seemed to have a slight attitude with me when i asked for a torch with the shut off valve and said "you're not in the field so you dont need that and also we dont have one in stock right now"

winston weldall wrote:im all about supporting the local guys and up until now thats exactly what ive been doing but this time they seemed to have a slight attitude with me when i asked for a torch with the shut off valve and said "you're not in the field so you dont need that and also we dont have one in stock right now"
Jeez; and people wonder why we turn to the internet. Online stores don't bicker at us. That's a pretty common torch for most any online retailer to stock. You will have no trouble finding one.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I order a lot for work from the local place, and it kills me when you go and they say "we don't have it but can order it", well so can I, and it's generally cheaper and comes faster. That drives me nuts.
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

"you're not in the field so you dont need that "

Translated into english : Find another supply house. I hate my job and my customers and I can't figure out why I haven't had my screenplay produced yet.

Seriously, man. Never go to that **** again.
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
winston weldall

I order a lot for work from the local place, and it kills me when you go and they say "we don't have it but can order it", well so can I, and it's generally cheaper and comes faster. That drives me nuts.
i have that very same thought. but im there for the "gas". They are kind enough to sell to me and switch out tanks that i own.

the GAS is prob why "brick and mortar store will never totally go away imo.

i like to help support local stores and seeing whatever im buying in person before i buy it is nice sometimes especially while im figuring out what's what, BUT... i'll be buying some things online now also.

does anyone have an opinion as to whether they have anything close to a good point when they say "you dont need that cuz yer not in the field" ???

MIKE
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike,
Remember, you are the customer and you are always right. While this can be taken to the extreme and sometimes the vendor does know more than the buyer, if you want a valved torch they new to get you a valved torch. Otherwise I can't blame you for looking elsewhere. I ask for a lot if things my LWS doesn't stock and while they pick on me for wanting something, they know I am serious and get it for me. I have a part on order now that is unusual to the manufacture but I wanted it.

On the note of the LWS not wanting to bring a item in because they have to order 10 and you need one, I think we need to be more understanding. As an example, I am one of two companies locally that regularly use CK worldwide. When I order in have to get whatever the packaging is from CK because they don't want to sit in merchandise for ever that they will not sell. I have bought A LOT of stuff that was ordered for someone and they only wanted one of and they were stuck with the other 9, and that was 10 years ago. Finally, they have to clearance them out and sell for less than what they originally purchased them for.
-Jonathan
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I agree, the attitude was inappropriate and best to not shop there, depending on the alternative. Some stores can't get what you want... example, I stumbles across a new LWS managed by one who I dealt with 10 years ago... while catching up, I found they couldn't get Hougen... it may take time... it's common to require standard package quantities if they don't order frequently.... gasses are a big deal, I've found a $10 difference in Argon.. Guess the days of going in and buying filler rod by the pound, wrapped with rubber bands are long gone[WHITE SMILING FACE]
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

https://weldingsupply.com

This is my LWS. The front side staff can be a little frantic sometimes, but generally not too bad.

Anybody got an online place for Hobart 4953 filler? S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

To All,
IOC is Indiana Oxygen Company
They are the welding gas supplier to the INDY 500. I believe they have 10 or 12 stores around Indiana.
There store on EBAY allows those who do not live in Indiana to shop with confidence, I highly recommend them.

I purchased a MM251, Spectrum 625, Precision TIG 225, TIG welding rod, TIG torch components and many other items over the past 10 years. The price was low, shipping was free, and there is no tax. When you take all of those points into consideration why would you use any other online welding supply, especially when you are spending 2K +. 8-)

WOB
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12

Wobulate wrote:the price was low, shipping was free, and there is no tax. When you take all of those points into consideration why would you use any other online welding supply, especially when you are spending 2K +. 8-)

WOB
because other places have even lower pricing ;
echosixmike wrote:https://weldingsupply.com

This is my LWS. The front side staff can be a little frantic sometimes, but generally not too bad.

Anybody got an online place for Hobart 4953 filler? S/F.....Ken M
Don't you mean ER4943?

Look at where I found it: http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=3963

:)