Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

What is the best way to add filler metal, the lay wire technique or to add when it is needed?? Please respond & let me know which technique is an easier way for a beginner like myself, thanks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Both can be acceptable---it depends more so on the type of joint you're doing. If you're doing small diameter round tubing it doesn't make too much sense in trying to lay a wire that you'll just have to be moving around all the time. For the most part you will and to add filler by dabbing it at the leading edge of the puddle every time you scoot on down a weld joint. This will help you establish consistency that will translate into all aspects of welding.
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Lay wire on an inside corner joint works well

Always dip with aluminum.

My .02
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I like to dip, I think it makes a nicer looking weld but there are times that I have to use lay wire. Like everyone said, it is best to know both. Try both, practice practice practice and see what is more comfortable for you.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I use both methods, depending entirely on my comfort.

I've done "lay-wire" on pipe as small at 1/2", root to cap, when I can do it in the stands, and especially when I can roll it out.

I dab when I'm welding out of position, standing on my head in some tight space.

I always dab aluminum... Actually, "stab" is a better word, as I'm usually hauling A$$... I HAVE seen aluminum done in lay-wire, and to my complete amazement, even "walk the cup"...

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I use both methods, depending entirely on my comfort.

I've done "lay-wire" on pipe as small at 1/2", root to cap, when I can do it in the stands, and especially when I can roll it out.

I dab when I'm welding out of position, standing on my head in some tight space.

I always dab aluminum... Actually, "stab" is a better word, as I'm usually hauling A$$... I HAVE seen aluminum done in lay-wire, and to my complete amazement, even "walk the cup"...

Steve S
Walk the cup on aluminum huh, will have to give that a shot.
-Jonathan