Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mopar
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Heres the deal. I'm trying to figure out what i need to get for my father for a scratch start tig setup for a fathers day gift. I know a bit late for it to be shipped in time but better late then never right? lol

So i know he has a miller gas powered welder. Probably a 250 or 300 amp stick welder and a argon bottle. I my self know very little about tig so im hoping you guys can give me a idea of a decent torch setup and regulator for the argon. Also i wanted to make sure and give him a verity of tungsten. Or atlest a good general size to get him started. Also is there Anything im forgetting here?

Thanks guys and gals :)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I have two of these HTP flowmeters - work good and pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Argon-CO2-M ... 20b74c4d3c
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mopar,

First, welcome to the forum!

More importantly, if you want to give dad a welding-related gift (Good idea, with the information you've posted!) it's way too late for a "ship-in". Find a MAJOR welding supplier in your area, like Praxair, AirGas, or Air Products, not "Joe's welding supply", and talk to someone. Try all three. Someone will understand where you're coming from, and make a deal for you.

We can offer you tons of sources, but to buy online and get it before/on Fathers' Day will cost you easily as much as sourcing it locally.

Consider, if your local supplier doesn't have what you have in mind "in stock", asking about a gift-card.

"Happy Fathers' Day! Here's $200 to spend on whatever you want!"

Just thoughts.

Steve S
Mopar

Thanks for the link, the welcome, and the advice.

Sad to say going local means about a hour drive to a welding shop that like to give me incorrect or junk and are pretty hard to deal with people. Not really a place i would like to go for this. Actually they have annoyed me enough that i decided to go threw another company for my own welding supplys that delivers everything about once every 2 months. costs more and the wait sucks but i guess i never asked him if they sell stuff like this. I think they only sell consumables. But he wont be around for another 4 weeks. Also the other problem is at some point it will have to ship threw the mail as dad lives 8 hours from me in another state.

One more thing is i was incorrect on the welder he has. I didn't know he got rid of the miller and now has a lincoln ranger 10,000. I asked the model number attempting to not give away the reason i want to know haha I think it worked. If i can get it online would probably be easier.

EDIT the local welding shop i talked about actually is a "joes welding" type of place. Most the shops around here use a service like the snapon tool truck for there welding supplys. They come out of the city 3 hours away and deliver stuff out in this rural area once a month or like the one i found every 2 months. you just get your self added to the delivery locations and they stop by ever month or 2.
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

What city/state are you in?
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I bought one of these and I love it. Combine one of these with a stubby gas lens kit from HTP, the HTP flowmeter someone else mentioned, and some 3/32 2% lanthanted tungstens and you will be off to the races. I have been using my with my Hobart stickmate welder, and it has stood up pretty well so far. http://www.amazon.com/WP-17FV-12R-Compl ... f=pd_ybh_2
Multimatic 255
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

What's your budget?
U might be surprised at how cheap some of the hf start tig machines can be.
I have a soldering iron!
Mopar

Louie1961 wrote:I bought one of these and I love it. Combine one of these with a stubby gas lens kit from HTP, the HTP flowmeter someone else mentioned, and some 3/32 2% lanthanted tungstens and you will be off to the races. I have been using my with my Hobart stickmate welder, and it has stood up pretty well so far. http://www.amazon.com/WP-17FV-12R-Compl ... f=pd_ybh_2

Yea i was looking at that one. didn't know how good they was. was also looking at the 200amp one just incase he would need that high of amps. Thanks for some feed back on that :)

I also have a stickmate. so far a decent little machine.
Mopar

Drifta-X wrote:What's your budget?
U might be surprised at how cheap some of the hf start tig machines can be.
Probably around 300 i figured. but thats part of why i asked. if 300 bucks ant enough to get a decent setup why waist the money and just spend a little more.

Not sure if he would even use a HF welder lol It wouldn't say Lincoln or Miller on it lol One time we was talking about it i said how about a HF tig welder and he said why waist the money lol Fathers right? :lol:
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Hf is high frequency start.
Meens u don't need to scratch start
I have a soldering iron!

Drifta-X wrote:Hf is high frequency start.
Meens u don't need to scratch start
HF in this context is "Harbor Freight", aka "Chinese outlet store"...

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Actually reading all the posts would lead me to believe that Mopar was thinking Harbor Freight and Drifta-X was talking about High Freq., but that's just how I read it, might be wrong though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I'd have to read from the start...

I might have to suggest a standard :lol:

"hf"=high frequency, "HF"=Harbor Freight.

To avoid confusion....

LOL!

Steve S
Mopar

I ment HF for Harbor Freight. I attempted to copy the use of hf and it seemed right to make it caps. I guess i'm not up on all the lingo used these days lol Maybe i'm better off just spelling it out haha Sometimes i really wish everyone just spelled it out because i have to go search around to find the meaning and depending on the subject changes the meaning. It is getting hard to read these forums anymore unless you fallow them all the time witch I don't do anymore. ohh well. hopefully that will get us back on topic. :D
Mopar

i did get ahold of His local welding shop and they said for the setup would be over 500 bucks! :shock: So i said the heck with it blow the budget way out and bought him a millermatic 211 MIG welder :) Mig would probably be more used by him anyways. :D Hummm now i wonder if i can get my kids to buy me one. I'm a bit jellos :lol: :lol:

The Millermatics are nice machines.

I'm guessing you'll be easy to talk into helping Dad with a weekend project.... ;)

Steve S
Mopar

Otto Nobedder wrote:The Millermatics are nice machines.

I'm guessing you'll be easy to talk into helping Dad with a weekend project.... ;)

Steve S
lol i wish. 16 hour round trip drive don't give much time to do much on a weekend. :( have to take a few more days off to do it.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Yea i was looking at that one. didn't know how good they was. was also looking at the 200amp one just incase he would need that high of amps. Thanks for some feed back on that :)
I am not sure what to tell you. They are both air cooled torches so they are both going to get hot at some point. The 200 amp torch is a 26 series which means it is bigger than the 17 series. It is all about what he will be welding. Smaller stuff, he will want the smaller torch to fit into tighter spaces and have more dexterity. Larger stuff, he will want the larger torch.
Multimatic 255