Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ToddP
    Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Just picked up a s size bottle of helium.
Am running a wye with oxy check valves, just like in Jody's video.
Can anybody elaborate on how to set the regulators on each the argon and helium?
Is a 50/50 mix the only possibilty?
If I set the argon regulator higher than the helium regulator will the check valve cause the helium not to flow?
Thanks!
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

ToddP wrote:Just picked up a s size bottle of helium.
Am running a wye with oxy check valves, just like in Jody's video.
Can anybody elaborate on how to set the regulators on each the argon and helium?
Is a 50/50 mix the only possibilty?
If I set the argon regulator higher than the helium regulator will the check valve cause the helium not to flow?
Thanks!
I ran into the same problems and questions when I tried doing the same thing. I finally started watching the arc and made my adjustments by how blue/green the flame was. Apparently there's a formula for figuring out the correct CFH for each gas to get the proper mix, I never found it. The problem I ran into was using flow meters. The He flowmeter barely registers at a 20% helium mix. It's a little easier to see at 50%. The only reason I know what they should read is because I broke down an bought a Smith Mixer and did some tests.

While I was waiting for the mixer to arrive I played with the Y connector setup. I'd shoot for a 15% reduction in current by setting the machine 15% lower than normal and then adding He until I could weld it easily. I'd bump the He up just a bit over that to give me some pedal room and it worked pretty well.

The point is that with practice, you'll throw away the math and predicted settings and just watch the puddle and the flame color.

Oh Damn, I just pulled Oxy/Acetylene tips and tricks out of my butt didn't I.... LOL..
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..