Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok I know what I am about to get into but I want everyone's opinion of a good A/C tig machine. FIRST OF ALL, I love millers but cannot afford one! I am not a Lincoln person either. I really like my Everlast and I learned on the Hobart Ez Tig and know that it is not the machine I need. I am interested in one with pulse, ac balance and frequency. I have not ran any of the cheap imports that is why I am asking opinions. What are some of the horror stories and some of the testimonies. This might help others like me who want to buy a good starter A/C machine but need it to perform for the future. I do lite fabrication work right now, I plan on at least welding 1/8" because that is what I have laying around so it needs to handle that. Now let me have them. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

My opinion is always the same on this issue - buy a high quality used machine for cheap.

Last week a really nice Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 tig sold for $500 with the torch and foot control.
Currently there is an 80's miller 330 abp for $800, but they are often $400-$600.
My Airco badged Miller was $225 and that range shows up about once a year.

Miller syncrowaves are often under $1000, see them pretty regular in the $800 range.

One of the nice parts is if a person decides to buy a new, high dollar one later, the old one will fetch about the same as was paid.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

One of the best value for the money is the HTP Invertig 221. It also adds independent amplitude control which you currently cannot find unless you spend significantly more money. It's easy to use, very versatile, and quite powerful with a 20% duty cycle @ 220A. The AC pulse is decent, the Freq. adjustment is good, and the AC balance adjustment is exceptional (10-90% EN). Also, aways figure in a water cooled set-up because AC welding will always get the tig torch hotter than DC- due to the reverse cycle putting heat into the tungsten, and thus the torch. Not only will the torch keep cool, it will prevent disintegrating the air-cooled's 1-pc power/gas hose at the torch fitting, which will suffer the aftermath of repeated heating/cooling cycles, and trust me it's quite harsh on it.

Thank you both for your responses. I have been watching craigslist for used welders and all the yard sale pages on Facebook. I will check HTP out. I learned to tig weld on aluminum but couldn't afford an ac machine when I bought but want to upgrade here soon and get to running aluminum.
Matt
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

If you love your everlast, why not get one of their AC Tigs?

When I get tired of welding on steel, I'll look to upgrade. I know everyone says to get the best machine once and forget about it, but I'm glad I picked up a nice DC chinese tig to learn on.

I have a 1960's 330 a/bp that I never got a chance to hook up. Just too much of a headache. I bought an everlast for $600, carried it to the table with one hand, plugged it in and started welding.

I have seriously considered their Power TIg 200DX. I just wanted others opinions of other brands. How are the Longevity, HTP, Eastwood, Everlast. I REALLY want a MIller but unless I buy used will probably not afford it any time soon. :(
Matt
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

The Everlast 200DX is AC/DC TIG with all the bells and whistles. It comes in a dual voltage version too, so portability goes way up.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Artie F. Emm wrote:The Everlast 200DX is AC/DC TIG with all the bells and whistles. It comes in a dual voltage version too, so portability goes way up.
I have been seriously considering it. I hope to have 220 soon so dual voltage wouldn't be necessary. Do you have this machine?
Matt
Artie F. Emm

I've been on the Everlast forum for a while, and many members there speak very highly of the 200 DX. I have the Everlast 210 EXT in dual voltage, and I've been very pleased with it.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

mcoe wrote:I hope to have 220 soon so dual voltage wouldn't be necessary.
Do you have an electric dryer at the house? Its 220v 30 amps, and will power a welder nicely. When I need 220 I have to run an extension cord out a window and to my garage. I made an extension cord with a nema 6-50 receptacle and a dryer plug. Is that a consideration for you?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse

I'm like you, I'd love to get a dynasty 280 but can't afford one. particularly since this is primarily a hobby.
I'm also not overly brand loyal. I just want to best machine to do the job for the money.

I'm local to usaweld who imports the HTP machines. I went to their store and demo'd an invertig 221 they had in the store. It certainly has all the bells and whistles and has some features that the lower model dynasty's don't have. The machine looks good. (Not cheap). And they seem to be very responsive to service for these. (I think it pulse range is slightly lower if i recall correctly)

The everlast is cheaper and my main concern is in case something goes bad, i don't look forward to dealing with them. the little interaction i've had with their online guy at the other forum and the sales/service guy on the phone have left me unimpressed. This is just a feel and nothing they actually did wrong so take it for what it's worth. But i like my dc itig 200 just fine so i don't complain.

i heard from someone that you should run the heck out of the machine the first couple weeks to make sure you don't have a dud (inside the warranty period). if it does OK for the first 50-100 hours, you should be good to go.
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse

I guess I should add that I'm a new tig welder so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

I had to deal with Everlast customer service and they were great to work with. They helped me out a lot. I have the power supply, I just don't have my wire and outlets hooked up in my shop to run 220 yet. I have all the material but I have been too busy to stop. I will definitely check into HTP more. I have heard many good things. I appreciate every opinion, even if it is from a beginner :D . I can't afford a lot until I get set up all the way and running.
Matt
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Artie F. Emm wrote:The Everlast 200DX is AC/DC TIG with all the bells and whistles. It comes in a dual voltage version too, so portability goes way up.
It doesn't have independent amplitude adjustment ;)
coldman
  • coldman

Sorry to get a little off the subject, but I need a little clarification here me coming from OZ. Down under we have single phase power 240V 50Hz and three phase power 415V 50Hz, I use both in my shop and on sites where three phase is available (most do). I know that in the USA single phase power is 120V 60Hz but many posts mention 220V power, is this three phase or is it another single phase voltage and if so is it common to have dual single phase voltages supplied to your premises and for what reason? Do you also use three phase in your shops? :?
Thanks I won't hijack here any more.

I am not an electrician or sparky as some say, but it is another form of single phase power, I believe. 120v is our regular power supply that runs things like televisions, computers, household appliances. 220 is the same but for larger power supply. It is used to run washer/dryer, welders, larger power equipment.
Matt
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

It all depends on your budget .... I absolutely love my "used" Dynasty 200DX ... Have you considered a 200SD used at possibly $2K ...then, I understand it can be upgraded to a DX with the replacement of the front switch panel ~$140..

I know a source where the 200SD is about $2k
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

coldman wrote:Sorry to get a little off the subject, but I need a little clarification here me coming from OZ. Down under we have single phase power 240V 50Hz and three phase power 415V 50Hz, I use both in my shop and on sites where three phase is available (most do). I know that in the USA single phase power is 120V 60Hz but many posts mention 220V power, is this three phase or is it another single phase voltage and if so is it common to have dual single phase voltages supplied to your premises and for what reason? Do you also use three phase in your shops? :?
Thanks I won't hijack here any more.
In the U.S. (60 Hz standard), our residential supply is 240V split-phase... Meaning there are 2 main lines coming in at a 240V potential, and a "common" line splitting the difference. (And a ground/earth line, of course.)

This occurs at the pole transformer.

This makes it fairly simple to power a Watt-heavy demand like a clothes-dryer, electric stove, or water heater by using the opposing poles for the higher voltage, but somewhat safer for minor appliances by using one leg of the split at 120V (As an accidental shock at 120v hurts less than at 240v... ask me how I know 8-) .)

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Matt,
I can't speak for the off brand machines. I do think you are discounting a used Miller prematurely. If I had known you were looking I would have sold you one of my Syncrowave 200's. I sold one for $1500 and the other for $1400. They were great machines but didn't have all the features you are looking for. Before you buy a Everlast or HTP, look at the new Syncrowave 210. I tested it at my LWS when it came out and for the money it is a great value. I even hear next years will be spool gun capable. It has pulse, frequency, balance and is able to accept software upgrades.
One of the main reasons I choose Miller or Lincoln is the availability of parts and warranty repair. If you do not have somewhere close that can fix your Chinese machine, you might be up the creek with no paddle.
I can honestly suggest to just be more patient and save up a little more and go name brand.
Just some thoughts.
-Jonathan
P.S. I might be willing to sell the Diversion in the future.

I am a miller person, I don't own one but love running them. I just know that they are expensive for a very good reason. I have been eyeballing them for some time. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I want to hear about them all. I just wanted to make sure we had some diversity in answers. :D
Matt
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

miller has a syncrowave 210. its about 3000 new. It's got a sd card port u can download different types of parameters off the computer. I thought about the diversion 180 but it doesn't have balance or frequency adjustments. Im kinda looking out for a dynasty for a decent price but no one seems to sell them in my area
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Adam's Got Skills wrote:miller has a syncrowave 210. its about 3000 new. It's got a sd card port u can download different types of parameters off the computer. I thought about the diversion 180 but it doesn't have balance or frequency adjustments. Im kinda looking out for a dynasty for a decent price but no one seems to sell them in my area
What area and what Dynasty? I bought my used Dynasty 200DX with free shipping and a 90-day Miller factory warranty.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

I had a Htp 221 in my shop for quite a while and showed it in a few videos. Seemed very solid. Only issue was whAt I thought was a glitch with foot pedal. Had to return it before I could verify it was a pedal issue but I am pretty sure it was.

I am really considering Everlast Power Tig 200DX. I would love to have a Miller but for the price I am really liking the Everlast. I just wish it was easier to get a torch to fit the machines. I had looked at an AHP last night on ebay but am unsure of it.
Matt
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse

I hate to keep bringing them up(I promise I don't have anything to do with them) but usaweld will modify their ck torches to fit everlast. I have a ck aircooled flexloc that fits my ever last itig.