Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Hello everyone, I'm looking for suggestions and reviews on good dual flowmeters. Not looking for junk or cheap pricing just a good solid reliable meter than has provided good service is reliable, consistent, sturdy and accurate. So if you have experience with a certain type that has proven it self please help. Will be buying online and kind of hard buying things without having them in hand to examine.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I use a Harris #356, no issues at all sturdy and reliable.

I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I have probably 50-60 single flowmeters in use around the plant going 24/7 with Nitrogen purges on all the eguipment and 6 doubles. There is probably 10 different manufacturers names on them and I couldn't tell you one thing I like better from one to the other. Three of the doubles are Smith and two are Harris, with the last one being a Weldmark that someone picked up on a moments notice at the LWS.

That being said, if I was to buy one for my own use, I would buy a Smith 30 series for both price and quality. In fact I just put a single Smith on my welder when we were trying to eliminate the gas loss issue awhile back. They're pretty bullet proof and about half the price of the Harris, which I also own three of in singles.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

HTP has a dual for about $100. (usaweld)

I use thier singles and they work well.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I have the HTP dual flowmeter and it works great. It is rebuildable for a worst-case-scenario; HTP backs their flowmeters well.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I got a stupid question and its not a really important one, but several years ago a place I worked at had regulators with a red balls in them instead the silver ball. I have no idea who made them was a little easier to see the ball. anyone have a clue.

I like the looks of the Harris looks pretty beefy. I did think about the HTP one. The 5/8 thread screws into it directly and adaptor for other sizes correct?
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This Smith flow meter uses a red ball.
http://store.cyberweld.com/smflreh2.html
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I have a 30 series Smith as well! Great Flowmeter! The Green tube with the ball is easy to see even at a somewhat distance. Never had one problem with em at home or at work. Very durable
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I think, if I understand your question right, that most flow meters have a 1/4"NPT in the outlet and then an adapter to 5/8, but that's not always the case. I have at least one that has the body cut for 5/8 and uses no adapter, can't remember it's brand though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

dirtmidget33 wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I got a stupid question and its not a really important one, but several years ago a place I worked at had regulators with a red balls in them instead the silver ball. I have no idea who made them was a little easier to see the ball. anyone have a clue.

I like the looks of the Harris looks pretty beefy. I did think about the HTP one. The 5/8 thread screws into it directly and adaptor for other sizes correct?
The outputs are male 5/8" fittings. The included adapters allow hoses with male terminations to be used by converting the outputs to female.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Here we go again.

I built my own. Four of them so far, all for work.

I used surplus parts and paid nothing for them (at work), but the e-bay sources and prices suggest I could build it for under $30.

Here's a crappy looking example... http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... ter#p15067

It's not hard, even with scrap parts and hardware-store fittings, as long as you have a solid "high pressure" regulator in front.

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Flow meters I've had (cheap ones, admittedly) all have 1/4" NPT from the regulator, and a BSP thread (non-tapered) on the outlet. So, it wouldn't take much to combine a pair of flowmeters off one regulator using a T fitting from the hardware store. The regulator output on mine have measured 25-50 PSI, so there's little hazard in this modification.

I think I've paid around $35-40 on eBay for a 2-pack of regulators, which would get you all the parts except for the T fitting.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Here we go again.

I built my own. Four of them so far, all for work.

I used surplus parts and paid nothing for them (at work), but the e-bay sources and prices suggest I could build it for under $30.

Here's a crappy looking example... http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... ter#p15067

It's not hard, even with scrap parts and hardware-store fittings, as long as you have a solid "high pressure" regulator in front.

Steve S

This might be better...
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=2092
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, John,

That post has the better explanation, for sure.

Steve S
TwentyFourSeven
    Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

All I have is the one that came with my set up from the local welding supply with my Lincoln Precision 225. Every time I start welding for the day I have to adjust the pressure because it is never consistently the same pressure. It's just the cheap round one not the tall clear glass with floating ball.
Lincoln Precision Tig 225