Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I have 2 #9 torches...1 was given to me an I think it's a CK...The second I know is CK...An I'd gotten a small say #6 pyrex cup with the stubby collet body...It has the screw on screen and the collet wedge. I had tried it once but I didn't have an insulator on my first unknown torch...So I bought a heat shield, and now my tungsten won't get tight??? So I bought a new CK torch and I have the same problem even with gas lenses. The only ones that work are the old school no screen collet bodies and I don't care for them...I'd rather use a lens or my pyrex cup that wasn't very cheap!!! Anyone have a solution?? I mean you need a heat shield on your torch right??? I've never had the problem with my #17 torch...Thanks for any help with this fristration
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Adam's Got Skills wrote:I have 2 #9 torches...1 was given to me an I think it's a CK...The second I know is CK...An I'd gotten a small say #6 pyrex cup with the stubby collet body...It has the screw on screen and the collet wedge. I had tried it once but I didn't have an insulator on my first unknown torch...So I bought a heat shield, and now my tungsten won't get tight??? So I bought a new CK torch and I have the same problem even with gas lenses. The only ones that work are the old school no screen collet bodies and I don't care for them...I'd rather use a lens or my pyrex cup that wasn't very cheap!!! Anyone have a solution?? I mean you need a heat shield on your torch right??? I've never had the problem with my #17 torch...Thanks for any help with this fristration

I was having this same problem yesterday.... :?
Still haven't figured it out.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I had a similar problem once. The cause turned out to be the back cap. The brass piece of the cap was counter bored such that if slipped over the collet. It was less than 1/16" deep but it was enough that the collet was not pressed against the front of the collet body and thus the collet did not pinch the tungsten. I would recommend you inspect the back cap and try a different one if you can.

Ken
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

taylorkh wrote:I had a similar problem once. The cause turned out to be the back cap. The brass piece of the cap was counter bored such that if slipped over the collet. It was less than 1/16" deep but it was enough that the collet was not pressed against the front of the collet body and thus the collet did not pinch the tungsten. I would recommend you inspect the back cap and try a different one if you can.

Ken
Also make sure you install the collet body first then the collet and last the back cap. If the back cap is installed the collet can seat against the back cap without the collet body being seated all the way. If this happens you might not be able to tighten the back cap eunough to secure the tungsten.
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

WTFH wrote:
Also make sure you install the collet body first then the collet and last the back cap. If the back cap is installed the collet can seat against the back cap without the collet body being seated all the way. If this happens you might not be able to tighten the back cap eunough to secure the tungsten.
Yep - collet body gets screwed in till it bottoms out - drop in the collet and tungsten, screw on back cap.

Adam - Post a pic of what works and what did not so we can see what you are doing.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Adam's Got Skills

I will make a note to try and get it figured out tomorrow...Thanks again for being so helpful
Adam's Got Skills

Ok I got some actual CK collets...I was using some cheap lws brand ones...an it did work for my gas lens but not on my pyrex cup...that kinda sucks i can feel the collet wiggling back an forth. I do have some pics...
Attachments
20140912_121052.jpg
20140912_121052.jpg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20140912_121245.jpg
20140912_121245.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20140912_120706.jpg
20140912_120706.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20140912_120959.jpg
20140912_120959.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 503 times