Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

I've started to Tig 6" Steel pipe at local trade school.
Got through 1g & 2g without any issues.

I couldn't really figure out where to start on a technique as to how lay the root in without being extremely uncomfortable.
I am really confused on how to approach this other than changing my wire and tungsten then "look though gap method"...??

1/8 lanthanated tungsten, #10 alumina cup with gas lens, 90amps/panel, 1/8 wire

Sch40 mild steel, No land, 1/8" gap
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Personally 5g is by far the hardest position. I prefer a small land, 3/32" tungsten #7 cup and 3/32" filler rod, 3/32"-1/8" gap 90 amps, 4 good tacks, start at 6 o'clock and head right up the joint, either forward back (key hole) or walking the cup, in use both hands depending on what side of the pipe.

Its uncomfortable but you'll learn to manipulate your body position , I start nearly on my knees and slowly stand up while welding. Make sure when your at the 6 o'clock position you pushing the filler into the root so you don't lack fusion or penetration.
Last edited by Rick_H on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

"Looking through the gap" means exactly that. You essentially are on one side of the pipe welding the other (standing over the pipe while welding the bottom). You're going to back feed the wire instead of keyholing. This is when you feed the wire through the backside of the bevel; can only be done on the root. Also, if you go this route you're going to want to use the next size wire down from your gap size. Example: 1/8in gap = 3/32in wire. Looking through the gap is also very helpful for tacking when you're too lazy or too much stuff is in the way.

This is a good video that demonstrates this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaPIpxIneE

When possible, I like to be directly under the pipe, mostly because I prefer the keyhole method, and because of that, I can get a better look at the root. And also because I'm still not that good at backfeeding, and I have trouble seeing through the gap.

You're tungsten size is fine, but you could also use a 3/32, which I use for most applications. I wouldn't go any higher or smaller for what you're welding.

And don't try too hard to get comfortable so much as try to get less uncomfortable. If you have to weld the bottom in small sections. I had to do this a few weeks ago because of a shoulder injury; couldn't hold my arms overhead for too long. But keep in mind, if you do this, you're going to have to get good at restarts, which you need to be good at anyways.

And also realize that none of this is set in stone. You need to find out what works for you and hone that. Most of us at work don't weld the same but we all get the same results; the CWI's sign off.

Hopefully this sets you in the right direction. I'm sure others will chime with with their experiences.
hacadacalopolis

Thx for responses guys.
And yes, I have seen Mrtig videos before.

I'm thinking I need to get started again with my left hand as well.

.....Christ
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

hacadacalopolis wrote:Thx for responses guys.
And yes, I have seen Mrtig videos before.

I'm thinking I need to get started again with my left hand as well.

.....Christ
Notice hee brings in a TIG welder who actually knows how to weld when it comes to doing a 6G root. World Renound my azz.
hacadacalopolis

.....Christ[/quote]
Notice hee brings in a TIG welder who actually knows how to weld when it comes to doing a 6G root. World Renound my azz.[/quote]

Umm, Ok... Not really sure where you are getting to? I look up videos on how to try something I am clueless about- So that is where I referenced one.

Btw- It is spelled "renowned"

Back to Topic;
I gave up on looking through gap method, It is not something for me at this time. I am sticking with what specs and consumables listed. I ran an ok root and cap for 2nd try. My back is killing me in doing so, I mean wow! I literally have to throw my hands over my head doing this. Might post a root and cap pic, maybe someone can help with critiquing... :)
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If his videos are still on You Tube it's worth looking at " Fieldres " for anything pipe related - he has an odd manner but is skilled enough to make it look easy with stick or Tig - maybe look at his body position while welding as he's clearly got experience & learned to do this sort of job day in / day out - self proclaimed " Mr Tig I'm sure has other skill set's - but I don't think pipeline is his thing.