Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
T411
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Does anyone know anything about this welder... worth, quality?

Airco 251 Heliwelder AC/DC

I'm trying to post a pic but I do not know if it will work.

00p0p_hXKD9XDozuC_600x450
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I've read that Airco welders are re-labeled Miller or Esab machines (just as Kenmore washers are made by other manufacturers for Sears and re-labeled), so the quality is there. Are you looking at one, considering a purchase? I can't speak to value, but those transformer machines are very durable. About the same footprint as a refrigerator, and often between 600 - 800 pounds, so you may want to build an undercarriage or plan your shop space!

Welcome to the forum- what kind of welding are you doing?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

This is a link to claz.org, which can search Craig's List nationally if you leave the location out of the search parameter. This shows what owners want for the machine, not what they get for the machine. You can also search ebay for closed auctions and see what the sale price was.

http://claz.org/classifieds?q=airco+heliwelder
Dave
aka "RTFM"
T411
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for the info. This machine is a TIG/ARC welder. I'm interested in TIG and MIG. Over the last 14 years I have collected most of the equipment that I need for a smal shop except for the welders that I want. I've only used Miller and Lincoln products through my job but I want to buy my own welders. I ran accoss this deal for this Airco welder on Craigslist for $1000 and from the pictures it looks to be in pretty good shape but it's not a familiar brand. I know most vintage equipment is made well and I've talked the owner down to $500. I'm going to stop by her house today to take a closest look and see what the duty cycle is. It comes with an argon bottle but no cooling unit. The owner said that it used to belong to her husband so I don't know the history.
Artie F. Emm

Assuming it's operational and including the cylinder it sounds like a good deal! When you visit keep an eye out for torches, regulator, cables, tungsten, filler, etc.
Dave
aka "RTFM"