Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

I welded this open outside corner joint. It is 6061 Aluminum. I was very happy with it as it is only the third open outside corner weld I've ever done. I decided to flip it over after it was cool and bend it back against the weld. I only used my hands and the weld broke. It looks as if the weld broke right in the middle and two sides where the weld metal hooked to the base metal stayed in place on both sides. Is this expectable or should both pieces have bent? When you look at the back side it doesn't look as if the weld bit into the base metal but this is the inside of the weld so I'm thinking if I would of welded the inside corner then the base metal on the inside would not be the straight line you can see in the picture. Or should the outside weld deform the inside corner when welded?
The top pic is the back side or inside corner of the weld. The second pic is the outside view to show what the weld would of looked like before I broke it.
Attachments
20141008_152132.jpg
20141008_152132.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 578 times
20141008_152056.jpg
20141008_152056.jpg (62.22 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Looks like you basically laid a cold surface weld in there with little penetration.

Plus, if you used 4043 filler, it relies on dilution from the parent material for strength.
You would not have much due to low penetration.
Name Hobart® MaxalMig 4943
Brand HOBART®
Category MaxalMig

Description Alloy 4943 filler metal was formulated to be welded with the same weld procedure specifications as 4043 and 4643, and does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit, while maintaining the same weld characteristics and benefits of 4043 and 4643. Features/Benefits: - 25% higher UTS & 50% higher yield strength than 4043 in the as welded condition (typical) - Moderate/high strength (35 ksi typical) - Low melting temperature/high fluidity - Low welding smut and discoloration - Low ductility, formability, and lower toughness (similar to 4043) - Moderate electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity - Post weld fully heat treatable requiring no base metal dilution - Excellent corrosion resistance - Low shrinkage rate/reduced distortion - Low hot cracking sensitivity in most applications

Applications Welding 6xxx alloys, radiators and air conditioning components, general repair and maintenance, water and gas tight applications, post weld age, post weld heat treat & age applications, automotive/motorcycle frames, sports products - scooters/bicycles, general repair and maintenance, aerospace hardware, ladders and frames, alloy 356 castings, wheels, ship decks, furniture
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks MD! I was afraid of that.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Yep...It's cold