Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi all,

I run a small commercial diving company and we just got our first real shop this year. I've been having all our fab work done by other companies since we had neither the place nor equipment to fab. Now it is time to bring the work in house. I used to weld in the Navy and still do a fair amount of stick (topside and underwater) but am going to have to brush up on my TIG /MIG.

I need help figuring out what machine to get. I have decided that I want my first machine to be a stick /Tig with AC. I am looking between the Miller Syncrowave and Dynasty as well as a couple of Lincoln welders of equivalent type. The names escape me at the moment. In research, I am somewhat worried about how long the inverter machines last. Every salesman (read that crook) I talk to has so much to say about warranties and amount of time the welder will spend in the shop. I just want a machine that will work when I turn it on.

I am looking for something that can weld 1/4" alum plate as well as 1/2" steel for the most part.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I think the dynasty would be the best bet! You have so much adjustment with them to tailor your arc just the way you need it! My friend has a shop with a Dynasty 350 and let me tell ya it's a beast! I mean it will weld most anything. It's a big $ investment but a good machine. But if you couldn't spend that kind of money you could still probably get by with a Dynasty 200dx...Although you'd probably have to just bevel some of the thicker materials...Which is usually par for the course. I have a Maxstar 200dx...No A/C...But pretty close to the same thing and let me tell you it's tough! I used one in the field an they take a beating. One time it was sitting in water (unplugged) an dried it out an worked. I've never seen one break personally. I just try to clean em out once a month to keep it dust free to try to keep it from overheating. I love mine and I've welded up to 5/8" steel with a groove weld and multiple passes of course. That's my opinion. Lincoln's aren't bad machines but they seem to be much much heavier and harder to move. Good luck making a decision
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Don welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Blue diver

I am also a ADC commercial diver and welder. I worked for Oceaneering International Inc., a great diving company, and also worked for myself as an independent welder. I'm assuming you need to do aluminum welding on boats. My main question is what process are you using for the aluminum welding? If your doing mig I would suggest a miller xmt 350 cc/CV as you can do mig/tig/stick on dc with that machine and it is a workhorse and will give you years of good service. If you are doing tig a miller dynasty 200 DX will be able to do 1/4 material but will be tough it is at the max of the machine. A miller dynasty 350 would be more suited (it is what I own) it does the job with precision, but you get the added cost of the machine. I am a tig welder and there is no substitute for quality. Hope this helps.
Blue Diver

@ Adam: Thank you for your input. I have looked at the dynasty. Do you know what the differences in the Dynasty and Syncrowave are?

@ Mike: Thank you!

@kblenker: I will be using the welder for vessels as well as salvage hatches, maintenance on parts in our shop, building cages for equip etc. I have decided to begin with a stick /TIG machine to start with because some of the welding is thin material and I just love TIG alum. I want a good stick machine because I still do a lot of stick on steel and some stainless (alot for a guy who isn't a fabricator) and really want to produce some quality welds. I also decided to start with a stick /TIG because I will end up buying a stand alone MIG machine for any heavy fab in the future. I assume the stick feature works well on the Dynasty also.

I have looked at the XMT and really like it but I still am stuck on wanting to TIG alum.

I should add that my shop is single phase and that I would prefer duty cycles to be around the 60% mark or higher. Precisely why I'm not looking at a small multi-process which would probably do well.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Blue Diver wrote:@ Adam: Thank you for your input. I have looked at the dynasty. Do you know what the differences in the Dynasty and Syncrowave are?

@ Mike: Thank you!

@kblenker: I will be using the welder for vessels as well as salvage hatches, maintenance on parts in our shop, building cages for equip etc. I have decided to begin with a stick /TIG machine to start with because some of the welding is thin material and I just love TIG alum. I want a good stick machine because I still do a lot of stick on steel and some stainless (alot for a guy who isn't a fabricator) and really want to produce some quality welds. I also decided to start with a stick /TIG because I will end up buying a stand alone MIG machine for any heavy fab in the future. I assume the stick feature works well on the Dynasty also.

I have looked at the XMT and really like it but I still am stuck on wanting to TIG alum.

I should add that my shop is single phase and that I would prefer duty cycles to be around the 60% mark or higher. Precisely why I'm not looking at a small multi-process which would probably do well.
As far as S/wave vs Dynasty, there's a lot to consider.
A S/wave 250 needs a 100amp breaker to perform at full output, it has a 40% duty cycle at 200amps. and it weighs about 500lbs, and very basic tig stick functions.

A Dynasty 350 has 350amps at 60% duty cycle, on a 43amp breaker!!!!! Its a way way smaller machine, has tons of features and settings and is the best tig welder on the market today!!!!!!!

As far as mig goes, a suitcase feeder off a CV power souse would be my preference for reaching up into ships.
You can't carry your MM252 up the stairs with you.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Blue Diver

I like the points you are making about the dynasty. Is there any reason you did not add in the dynasty 280? As far as amperage goes, 200 would prob be enough most of the time, 280 would definitely take care of what I need to do and a 350 would for sure do it but seems a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong, I can always have more power but I do not know what the price points will be and I am assuming to get into a 350 amp machine will be substantially more than a 200amp and probably a good bit more than a 280amp.

So far the Dynasty has my bet. Still don't have an answer for stick yet though. Have any of you spent time with it in stick mode? Weld as good there as with TIG?
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Greetings. I just got a 280DX myself after extensive research. I considered the 200DX which would probably be adequate for my needs, but figured having a bit more on tap couldn't hurt. Also I believe that machines last longer when not operated near their max capacity. Good luck making your decision.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Blue Diver wrote:I like the points you are making about the dynasty. Is there any reason you did not add in the dynasty 280? As far as amperage goes, 200 would prob be enough most of the time, 280 would definitely take care of what I need to do and a 350 would for sure do it but seems a bit excessive. Don't get me wrong, I can always have more power but I do not know what the price points will be and I am assuming to get into a 350 amp machine will be substantially more than a 200amp and probably a good bit more than a 280amp.

So far the Dynasty has my bet. Still don't have an answer for stick yet though. Have any of you spent time with it in stick mode? Weld as good there as with TIG?

Ok,
I thought you we're debating the 350, not dynasty's in general.

I've heard nothing but good about the 280dx.
They have a 100% duty cycle at about 200amps.
And only a little more then the 200dx.

Very portable, and just sniff electricity.

Dynasty's have always been good Smaw machines.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Blue Diver

AKweldshop wrote:
Ok,
I thought you we're debating the 350, not dynasty's in general.

I've heard nothing but good about the 280dx.
They have a 100% duty cycle at about 200amps.
And only a little more then the 200dx.

Very portable, and just sniff electricity.

Dynasty's have always been good Smaw machines.
Well I was at first debating dynasty vs. s/wave and others. But due to the amount of reviews on the dynasty line I am kind of narrowing in the dynasty as the line I really want to make a purchase from. I am just trying to decide which dynasty to go with. I like the idea of the 280dx but am always leery of a 'new' product. It looks as if the 200 and 350 have been out for a while and the 280 is new to the market. I'd like to hear what anyone thinks that have spent some time under the hood with them.

I'd still like to hear if anyone else has any other choices they'd like to throw out. I haven't heard much from the Lincoln front or thermal arc, everlast, etc. Anyone using them and really happy?

Jody seems to like that everlast he has shot some videos with. I lean away from the non-standard units purely because if I have to have them worked on I want to have a shop that can take them and knows the ins and outs. Kinda like the difference in owning a Ford or a Saab. Really, who works on a Saab?
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

They dynasty is an excellent Stick machine....Just like Tig. If a 280 will do it...A 280 will do it. Just make sure it's a DX model to get all the good features....I actually did some pricing the other day on the internet. dynasty200dx W/water cooler/foot pedal/cart/torch $4995 280DX w/same setup $6642 350 w/same setup $8749 These were off ebay and for the difference in price then the Local Welding Supplier I think that'll be where I buy my next one. Especially since they offer FREE shipping. An that's ready to weld! Now if you'll excuse me I better close my miller catalog...God I'm a weld junkie! Personally I think the dynasty is the obvious choice myself. I've had the opportunity to use the Syncrowave 250/Dynasty 350 and the dynasty just has more options and IMO way better performance. Don't get me wrong I love transformer machines but I'm also a fan of this particular Inverter. If it was me pick which would better suit your current/future needs and get either 280dx/350. AK is definitely right tho the syncrowave is a beast on input power....230v single phase it sucks 96amps @250 w/40% duty...280dx=30amps @ 235 w/60%...350=43amps @225 w/60% duty
    Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:58 pm

I have owned the dynasty 200 dx for about a year or two, awesome machine! I also own the sycrowave 250 dx too. Use the 250 for more of the " regular " over 1 hr welding on S. Steel An alum jobs. It does fine. Now the dynasty is a whole other breed! It does superior welds on super hard,small, tricked out Stuff !! And it's mobile. Now one little thing fer Ya to take in is ALL the knowledge to make that tricked out hard welds. This machine requires lots an lots of studying.More than a o.water cert.you being a diver an all we dive buddies know is we are Serious bout are tools. Get the dynasty,but DO your homework.oh,gasslens an e3 for alum.I had,,,, an still reading and learning the finer things of this baby! Love it
Blue Diver

Since no one else has ponied up to tell a great tale about any other machine I guess I am getting a Dynasty.

Just found a used 280(not dx) online for $2k. I really wanted to get the dx model but the price difference is pretty substantial when I can get a used 280 for that price.

I know this is a loaded question but should I settle for a 280 at that price or hold out a while and see what turns up? I always prefer to buy used when I can. Most of the time I do pretty well in figuring out what is a well taken care of piece of equipment vice what is beat to death. This machine is no different, although finding used 280's wont be common since they are relatively new. I would still go for a 350 at the right price.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Id love to have a red or blue machine, but as of right now it's not even close to being a option.
So I've went with Everlast. I currently have their powertig 185 dv and it works very well. What i was originally looking at was their PowerPro 256s $1799. If you didn't need the multi process you could go with powertig 250ex $1649 or something similar. I believe they all come with a 5 year warranty.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

$2800 will get you the 350-amp version in Everlast's EXT digital line. It's recently started shipping with support for single-phase input power. Of course, that's before adding a water cooler.

I don't dispute the argument for local service on Lincoln and Miller, but the cost difference makes one pause. A new 350-amp unit with 5-year warranty for a bit more than a used 280-amp with no warranty... It's a tough call.

I have the 210EXT and I like it quite a lot, but I could see the need for more juice. I've already used it for 3/8" steel that I never envisioned, tripping the duty cycle in the process. I can imagine needing more power for aluminum, and if make a step up it'll be to a 350 kit, not a 280.

FWIW,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Have had 250 Syncrowave for 15 yrs,decided to try out inverter technology,got a Everlast 250Ex,tuned up foot pedal, CK FL150 with both a series 2 head and a series 3 head,can weld 200 amps using a short duty cycle(with tig finger),plan a watercooler to extend amp range.

Water cooled syncro wave is dusty/lonely now.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Blue Diver

I have looked at everlast but still haven't made up my mind on them. Anyone use any thermalarc stuff?
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Blue Diver wrote:I have looked at everlast but still haven't made up my mind on them. Anyone use any thermalarc stuff?
If you are using this for business to make money. Stick with a known brand that has local support/service/repair and that are built for commercial/industrial uses. Miller Lincoln ESAB Arcon etc. All the new Tweco (thermal arc) stuff is now made in China and most of the US employees got laid off to increase profits. Old thermal arc stuff is great
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Tig welding can get addictive and one will out grow AMP/Duty cycle very quickly
Buy lots of AMPs when possible.
Buisiness ,commercial or job fab shop if a machine is always pushed to max amp/duty cycle it will fail regardless of brand.
upfront Spend $$ wisely, repairs/replacement cost $$$$$$
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Everlast PowerTig 250 EX and 315LX have a impressive duty cycle for new machines a decent bit lower than $2k.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog-tig