Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

I have a job possibly coming my way to weld up pieces of 954 aluminum bronze. Does anybody have an idea of what it takes to weld this? I need to do some test pieces as samples first. Also FYI for everybody this is only decorative. It will be screwed fast to a wooden cabinet and will not hold any more than its own weight so if I can use fusion welds that would be great but if I need to buy filler I will. An alloy of filler would be good to know as well if anybody knows that
Be the monkey....
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

Try nickel al. bronze welding filler wire. If you try fusing the metals without using filler wire, you will probably have a cracking problem.....ron
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

OK thanks for that little tidbit. I am planning on tigging this is it an AC tig or a DC tig job?
Be the monkey....
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Our 1 and 2 dollar coins here in AUS are made from Aluminium Bronze. Just another tidbit.

Mick
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

nickn372 wrote:OK thanks for that little tidbit. I am planning on tigging this is it an AC tig or a DC tig job?
My guess would be DC, but someone else will hopefully know for sure.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

If the filler is aluminum then you have to use AC like you would on all AL alloys.
It just doesnt weld right on DC.

Yes I tried (not intentionally).

You can use the DC if you move to silicon bronze which has been the one i have been using since the AL Bronze is hard to find in my neck of the woods.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I think Jody did a video not to long ago about aluminum bronze, iirc he said it is normally ran on dc but running it on ac with cleaning action turned all the way down makes it really easy to run and leaves a very good looking "weld"
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I think he did that as a TIG braze on steel though @dsmabe
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-